Members
Latest member
winkle
Recent bookmarks

andreios

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi there,

For a long time now I've been thinking about trying my eye on a panoramic format.. Of course, I can crop my 6x6 negatives (which I sometimes do), but I wanted to "train" my eye as well and therefore I became interested in panoramic cameras. Cost is a problem though... I could perhaps save for one of those chinese 6x17 bodies but I don't have a 13x18 enlarger (yet). So meanwhile I searched about 35mm panoramas and discovered the russian Horizon cameras.
However, one of the things that draws me to these cameras are vertical panoramas - and I am not sure - is it possible to use swing-lens cameras in this fashion? I mean, how do the results look then? Any ideas - examples?

Thanks

David Brown

Shooter
Multi Format

Attachments

• shuttle022.jpg
    shuttle022.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 118
  • pano.jpg
    pano.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 133

davidmasek

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi, yes it is possible to do vertical panoramas with swing-lens, but of course, it is not for all situations. You can get some foreground in the picture, old trees also look nice like that. The two pictures are from Smichov station, and are just quick scans from what I could find quickly. The camera was a Horizon. If you try it for yourself, give it some time, dont judge the results after the first roll. It is really different and needs some time.

smichov1.jpg
smichov2.jpg

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes vertical panorama photographs are great for the right subject. I use my WideLux to make them.

OP
OP

andreios

Shooter
Multi Format
Thank you guys for your links and tips. Now that I see that it isn't wholly impossible I may give it a try while I'll continue to "hunt" for a Durst 138... :smile:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom