Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Last edited:

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I know and the better photographer know.

Might or might not be true. We'll never know.

I didn't know what your angel emoticon is supposed to mean so I looked it up.

"A yellow face with smiling eyes, closed smile, and halo, usually blue, overhead. Often represents angels, prayers, and blessings. May also convey angelic behavior, e.g., doing good deeds."

I'm still not sure what you mean by it.

Last edited:

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
“The best”... right. Get out of that mainstream train will’ya.

Like, The best movie is a hollywood movie, eh?

Interesting you bring movies into the subject matter, given your need to blast away until you get something. Almost like taking a still from a movie.

So, what is your fave 'indie' movie? Perhaps we can find one still from it and admire it as a skillfully captured moment. How else do you capture the shadows of the night?

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
That's the way sports photography is done today - set the camera to take a movie instead of stills and just follow the action with a 1200mm f4.0.

P.S.: Vivian Mayer, or anyone else, shooting a Rollie TLR at 4fps - this I got to see...

It's even more impressive when you realize she had to retract the advance lever to cock the shutter!

Oh Vivian, our 4 fps Rolleiflex beauty!

p.s. ya know she had to reload every 3 seconds? Crazy!

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Ansel Adams said 12 photos a year was a good haul. When a working PJ, sometimes 1 frame made to the wire out of 10 rolls.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
It's a rarely seen sport, that's for sure. I've been in Tucson for over 2 1/2 years (COVID mostly, but I'm finally gone soon) and haven't seen one person shooting street. I've actually only seen 1 film camera, period, but he was leaving a camera store so it doesn't count for much.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It's a rarely seen sport, that's for sure. I've been in Tucson for over 2 1/2 years (COVID mostly, but I'm finally gone soon) and haven't seen one person shooting street. I've actually only seen 1 film camera, period, but he was leaving a camera store so it doesn't count for much.

I have only used the cameras for family photographs since COVID but that will soon change.

Shooter
Multi Format
Good grief, why not just lug a cine camera -- shoot half frame at 24 fps. Some of those have wicked fast lenses...

That's the way sports photography is done today - set the camera to take a movie instead of stills and just follow the action with a 1200mm f4.0.

Interestingly, Nick Brandt, acclaimed photographer and director of music videos, when asked in an interview on what he thought about modern photography, anticipated the demise of decisive moment due to improving video camera technology:

"I think that I am most disturbed by the imminent demise of the Decisive Moment. By this I mean that such is the quality of video now that you can just roll video and then select a frame which will be good enough quality to print as a large fine art print. The end of the Decisive Moment."

albada

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
(One of the several) Decisive Moment(s).

Based on the definitions of the words, a "decisive moment" is the moment in which a decision was made.
But no decision was made.
Winogrand (or whomever it was) meant the "expressive moment".

Steven Lee

Shooter
Medium Format
Phew... Amateur! Real pros mount a few GoPro cameras on their heads and film at 60fps all day long. Then outsource the footage to overseas workers to hunt for the keepers.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
Phew... Amateur! Real pros mount a few GoPro cameras on their heads and film at 60fps all day long. Then outsource the footage to overseas workers to hunt for the keepers.

That is definitely sport! Just like big game hunters who shoot lions in cages at ranches in Texas, just so they can have something to hang on the wall and claim they hunted it.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
It's just as well to take 3 or 4 frames per second out on the street. It should be called "Back Photography" since backs feature most prominently in the majority of it.

Willy T

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Based on the definitions of the words, a "decisive moment" is the moment in which a decision was made.
But no decision was made.
Winogrand (or whomever it was) meant the "expressive moment".

Was that HC-B? Has been translated/interpreted as the "fugitive moment."

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
Cartier-Bresson was the decisive moment. Winogrand was "I wanna see what it looks like photographed."

OP
OP
NB23

NB23

Shooter
35mm

This. Combined with Midjourney.
Bloody Hell.

OP
OP
NB23

NB23

Shooter
35mm
I
Interesting you bring movies into the subject matter, given your need to blast away until you get something. Almost like taking a still from a movie.

So, what is your fave 'indie' movie? Perhaps we can find one still from it and admire it as a skillfully captured moment. How else do you capture the shadows of the night?

Indie movie? Ever heard about bollywood? Or Idunno, Italian? Why jump from Hollywood directly to Indie? Chinese mocie industry is excellent.

If we are going to be intelligent about this question, any Bollywood movie gets more views than any hollywood movie, and is favored by its population. Any bollywood movie wins in sheer numbers vs hollywood movies. Any.

The problem here is that you do not see large enough.

M-88

Shooter
Multi Format
And that’s why you need your film Leica M to be able to shoot at 3-4fps easily.

Which means, basically, that you can shoot a frame and then another one 1/3 of a second later, NOT at the end of the second. Huge difference.

Chess is a Sport. Street photography is a Sport.
Ah so THESE are your go-to cameras then? Never miss a shot when you have ten meters of film loaded and ready for high fps shooting 💁‍♂️ Always wondered who were they for. Now I know.

NikonF_MD250_Wfinderd.jpg

Cameratique_stock_111-120_1174-3000x3000.jpeg

Last edited:

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I remain skeptical that anyone can shoot a manual wind film camera 3-4fps.

There is but one! Bow down to him! For he is here to lord his super human abilities upon us mere mortals! Pretty much the gist of every thread that he starts.

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The Leica Motor Winder gives you a choice of 1.5fps or 3fps. I don't know if Leica made a faster one for M cameras.

I have a Winder 2 for my OM bodies. It does 2.5fps. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I never use it. The Motor Drive 2, which I don't have, does 5fps.

Last edited:

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I remain skeptical that anyone can shoot a manual wind film camera 3-4fps.

Maybe a Swiss Alpa 10 or 11, the wind is rather odd but quick. Alpa made a very strange motor drive, electric motor advanced the film, then released the shutter so although battery driven it was mechanical as opposed to a motor that advanced the film.

1663692540586.png

nosmok

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Surprised nobody's mentioned the Robot cameras here. Wind 'em up and go hunting-- 6-10fps and all mechanical ! (For myself, the bigger and slower I shoot, it feels like more gets done. 1 holder of 8x10 or 11x14 shot in a day, that's about all I can handle) If I shoot 35mm these days, it's 828 and those 8 shots take several hours. Or am I just lazy?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom