Storing 6X7 negatives - there's one too many! Solutions?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
I've got a couple of 6X7 cameras that give me ten negatives per roll of 120 film. When it comes to storing them in negative pages, PrintFile makes a page that will store 9 6X7 negatives, leaving one lonely negative to wander. The eight 6X9 negatives on a 120 roll will neatly fit on a standard 4-strip 6X6 page, but 6X7 remains a problem. I could go to individual sleeves in an envelope/holder, as I've done with some 35mm negatives using Light Impressions materials, I suppose.

How have you addressed this issue? And a sidebar question - Light Impressions many years ago was great, then apparently was sold to new owners (?) and there were some negative experiences by some then-APUG customers. Anyone have recent experience with them?

jeffreyg

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I use the Print File sleeves, envelopes and boxes. I can write my printing information on the sleeves and contents of the sleeves on the envelopes. After switching from Light Impressions to Print File I have been very pleased with their products and prompt shipping.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
I've got a couple of 6X7 cameras that give me ten negatives per roll of 120 film. When it comes to storing them in negative pages, PrintFile makes a page that will store 9 6X7 negatives, leaving one lonely negative to wander. The eight 6X9 negatives on a 120 roll will neatly fit on a standard 4-strip 6X6 page, but 6X7 remains a problem. I could go to individual sleeves in an envelope/holder, as I've done with some 35mm negatives using Light Impressions materials, I suppose.

How have you addressed this issue? And a sidebar question - Light Impressions many years ago was great, then apparently was sold to new owners (?) and there were some negative experiences by some then-APUG customers. Anyone have recent experience with them?

Weird. My print file holders for 6 x 7 hold all 10 negatives. I cut them in 3,3,2,2 and they all go into a single page. I'm not sure what size they are, so will report back later when I am home.

OP
OP
Trask

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Yes, that's what I use.

Abruzzi and RattyMouse, I missed that one on Freestyle. Yes, it 4 time 3 per strip, so problem solved. I was looking at the 120-9HB which holds only 9 negatives because I was only looking at pages available in packs of 25. Looks like I’ll have to spring for the pack of 100 120-4UB. I’ll compare to the sleeves and envelopes that Jeffrey suggests, too. Problem solved; thanks very much.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I prefer to use the sheets that hold 9 negatives, because they fit in standard binders and on a single 8x10 contact sheet.
If I don't have a discard negative on a roll, at least one negative ends up in the next sheet.
I might approach it differently if I shot only 6x7, but as my negative binders hold a wide variety of formats, and my shelves conveniently hold only regular size binders...
I would really like a 6x8 camera as flexible and relatively small as an RB67.

Shooter
Multi Format
The 10th shot is always a problem for me in a different way. Since I bracket, I use up 9 shots of 3 subjects and then I'm left with one last shot which I can't bracket. Now that's a problem. I usually shoot it if I'm in a cheap mood. Otherwise, I'll stop at 9 shots and put in a new roll.

Michael W

Shooter
Multi Format
I use the 4UB ones for 6x7. Two rows of 3 frames and two rows of 2 frames. The sleeves fit the Vue All binders that I use.

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
... I cut them in 3,3,2,2 and they all go into a single page...
I prefer 2,3,3,2, with the leader and trailer left on, which uses up some of the extra space. You do need a slightly over-sized binder for the 120-4UB .

Shooter
Digital
My files end up with just 4 or 5 orphans of the one roll of 120 film. The rest have been card masked for archival storage and print-prep (tech examination, dismounting, drum scanning, etc.).
I have never seen a solitary frame in the bottom slot of a PrintFile sleeve as a problem or something to get irritated about.

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
Have you ever considered using single pocket negative sleeves. Whilst I have never used 6x7, I use them for 645 negatives and find that they are easier to catalogue and search when I need a particular image. Using a self adhesive lable on the outside to show all negative data, plus a reference number can be recorded to make this even easier.

One benefit I found is you don't have to drag a whole strip out of the sleeve at once and this reduces the risk of dust and scratches.

Mike Bates

Shooter
Medium Format
I use the 3x3 sleeves with negatives stored 2,2,2. I don't mind using two sheets to store a roll. Sheets are cheap.

My enlarger negative carrier requires individual negatives to be cut anyway. I leave them in strips of 2 until I print an individual negative. Then it's easy to slide one in/out from the left and one in/out from the right. No fishing around to get that middle negative out.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom