Split Nikkormat AW-1 motor shaft gear

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by sissysphoto, Jul 11, 2018.

1. sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    My Nikkormat ELW and winder came today. Looks like the little white nylon gear on the motor shaft of the winder is split. Doesn't seem very likely I'm ever going to be able to dig up a replacement. The motor shaft spins nicely inside the gear. This is a situation.

2. choiliefan

choiliefan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A well-tooled machinist can replicate your gear.

3. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    Oh. Well thanks. I can see that being a couple hundred dollars.

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    3D print one.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Home-printing a gear-part that delicate and stressed?

6. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    Well, well, well. Looky here. It appears that this may very well be the same little 15 tooth brass gear as used in the MD2 and MD3. Certainly there can't be anything special about it other than the length of the gear and shaft diameter. I wonder if it's just barely possible I can dig one up on the internet somewhere. Watch it turn out to be something you can get a bagful of for peanuts. I should be so lucky.

7. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Im sure there is nothing special about that gear. There are hobby shops on line for robotics that sell assorted gears for peanuts by the bag full. Try looking at shops that sell ADRUINO stuff too?

Google SMALL PLASTIC GEARS

Once upon a time there was a company called SMALL PARTS. Im not sure if they are still in business.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never bothered with gears in cameras and lenses so far, so I don not know. But I am not sure at all that japanese makers used a international standard gear shape. (Even the US and european gear shape is different...) And with high numbers any propriatory gear would not cost more. And even if the gear would be standard, the hub likely would be not.

9. Gregorius63

Gregorius63 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    Thank you for the link, although there were no photos of the gears. And I don't know enough about gears to pick it out. But I do believe the one I need is the same one as the MD3 one. So if I could kindly presume upon you to look on that site and tell me which one, I'd be appreciative. I hope we're talking about gears made to metric specs. Thank you.

11. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Outside diameter; inner shaft diameter aka the bore; the height; number of gear teeth, mark one and count them; the pitch of the gear teeth.
    A gear tooth is (EDIT) a triangle, the angle and depth can vary, and the top can be rounded or pointed..
    High School math will suffice even if its rusty.:smile:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yikes, sounds like a time trap. Try using the camera without the winder until a simple solution presents itself.

13. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    I waited a long time for a cheapo ELW to come along with winder. I have the camera apart on the table now, headed into the reassembly phase. If I was to use the ELW without the winder, I could have had an EL an long time ago. When you have an ELW, then you use the winder. That's the rule. I'm not going through all this tedious repair work just to have half the camera. You should see the dent work I did on the top cover last night. Masterful. It's always satisfying to do such a good job on paintless dent removal.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I thus stand corrected with my scepticism.
    That is good news, as there may be be hope for other gear issues.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A good tool to establish the right teeth is a gear-gauge. It is similar to a thread gauge.
    This one is calibrated in "Module" as are the gears in that shop linked above.
    https://www.fohrmann.com/de/zahnrad-modul-lehre-7-verschiedene-din-5480.html

17. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    I looked at the link and saw the correct one. Thank you. I'm going to but 3. ! each for my MD2, MD3, and AW1

18. Vilk

Vilk Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  19. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nylon gears are lighter and quieter in operation but not as durable over long periods of time.
    Brass gears are heavier, louder in operation but very durable over long periods of time.
    Be sure to lube the brass gear(s) well during assembly.

20. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good Job, I'm too fumble fingered to tackle such a task. I did repair a Hassleblad grip the other day, had to make a custom machine screw, it turned out great. I do love the Nikon stuff. I have a couple MD2 motor drives, pretty neat!
    Best Regards Mike

21. Gregorius63

Gregorius63 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is the one IP used for my MD-3
    Mod 0.3 16T SGb. Found on Nikon MD3 camera. (1)

22. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    Well the gear came and it seems to work quite well. The attached photo is the little bag it came in. It says for MD3, but it fit right in on my Nikon/Nikkormat AW1. The old plastic gear had no set screw and neither did this brass replacement. Since the old gear was split, it slipped right off the motor shaft. And the new brass one slipped right on. If it's supposed to be a friction fit, there wasn't much friction as I was able to push it on the motor shaft with just my fingernails. I guess it's tight enough on its shaft because the winder now works and doesn't seem to have any slippage. Turned out to be a very easy repair. I'll tell you what though, a Nikkormat ELW winder is no bolt of lightning in its winding speed. I can manually wind it with the advance lever faster than the winder can wind. But it's still a pretty fun little camera. Right now all I have in the winder is cheap dollar store Sunbeam alkalines reading about 1.3 V. Maybe it's be a little snappier with fresh Duracells or something.

Attached Files:

• gear.jpg
      gear.jpg
      File size:
      327.2 KB
      Views:
  23. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would remove the gear, coat the shaft with Locktite 242 Blue threadlocker and reassemble the gear. Let it sit until the threadlocker cures before putting into use. AA alkaline or carbon batteries that read 1.3V are ready fir the recycle bin.

24. OP
    OP
    sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    I already tried to pry the gear up. Won't budge.As I was pushing it on with my fingernails, there came a point where I couldn't any more and had about another 1/16 left to go. So I gave it a couple light taps with the ball peen and a screwdriver. I think it's on pretty good. Maybe a small droplet of CA glue to seep in, but I'm not going to open it back up for that. If it starts to slip at some point, I'll know. As for putting the alkalines in the garbage, I put them in the charger.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  25. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on your repair.

26. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Likely tapered for a press fit, should be fine.
    I don't put them in the garbage. Local pickup has a Recycle bin for paper, cans, bottles. Batteries are left on top of the bin in a separate bag and they are handled separately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.