Solinar coating loss

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by elmartinj, Feb 5, 2018.

1. elmartinj

elmartinj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So, just found a beautiful copy of an Agfa Isolette III in a rather fine state with a Solinar f4.5 85mm. The seller claims the lens is in good shape but describes significant coating loss on the front element (no significant scratching though) and is appreciated in the photos. Should this be a concern?

2. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    May only affect the resale value of the camera. Put a lens hood on it and shoot.

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sounds like my old Solinar. It turned out to be unusable.

OP, if you can get the camera with the right of return, buy it, test it promptly and return it if it fails acceptance testing. If the seller won't agree to this, wait for a better one. They're not that rare and there are other functionally equivalent cameras.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not sure why the lens would be unusable unless it were damaged in some other way.

I currently shoot a 1935 Agfa Jsolette with the Solinar 85/4.5. It is an uncoated Solinar but still takes very good photos, even with color slide film. It does flare quite a bit if you point towards the sun so a lens hood is recommended but I am very happy with mine and use it constantly.

5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine was coated, the coating was badly damaged. Unusable because of terrible flare. That's why unusable.

6. OP
    OP
    elmartinj

elmartinj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for your answers, I decided to wait it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.