So What's the Nikon F5 go for these days?

Funky Face

A
Funky Face

faded glory

A
faded glory

• Tel
  • Oct 7, 2022
Parkbench images

A
Parkbench images

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
Haven't looked at forums or sales or ebay posting in a while. What's the F5 going for these days?

OP
OP
ChristopherCoy
Shooter
Multi Format
500 bucks-ish

In what country? I can't believe they've jumped that much in the year or two since I've looked at them.

Willy T

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
KEH this a.m.

Stuff is jumpin', has jumped fer sher.

Last edited:

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It only takes a second to check Ebay, body only around $300 + shipping

Willy T

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
It only takes a second to check Ebay, body only around $300 + shipping

Quite true; admit that I usually shy away from the 'Bay, but a deal could be had.

OP
OP
ChristopherCoy
Shooter
Multi Format
Quite true; admit that I usually shy away from the 'Bay, but a deal could be had.

I tend to shy away from ebay and KEH because both tend to usually be at either end of the reality spectrum. KEH is typically on the high end, eBay is typically on the low end, and private sellers are usually somewhere in the middle. I attempted to search the classifieds but only found one recent listing. It appears the forum has had some changes in the last year or two so maybe I am doing something wrong.

Willy T

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
With ebay, deals are possible, but I've gotten burned a little too often.

My go-to source for reliable, as-advertised used gear is usually Used Photo Pro (Roberts).

Quick check shows F5 examples at 416 and 506 just now - could I do better? Maybe; maybe even probably, but their track record gives me greater confidence as to quality.
Peace of mind - I hate to get involved in disputes, returns, etc.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Ebay is a good starting point for a price, you can also look at our classified forum, Craigslist in your area, shopgoodwill.com, Roberts Camera among other shops that sell online. I bought a 4F body only for $150, some bleed in the Viewfinder LEDs, otherwise condition is very good. BTW Craigslist in my area price are just really too high to bother with.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
$300 ish. ebay is excellent as a buyer because you are protected 100%, no matter if the seller says 'no returns'. Because if his description does not match what you get, ebay sides with you.
I use ebay all the time.

Willy T

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
$300 ish. ebay is excellent as a buyer because you are protected 100%, no matter if the seller says 'no returns'. Because if his description does not match what you get, ebay sides with you.
I use ebay all the time.
Very true; I did back then have a couple "favorite sellers" bookmarked, and it is likely better than it was back in the times of my negative experiences.
It was never that I couldn't get a refund; just would rather not have to deal with all that entails.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
That price range makes to Nikon F100 look better every day, especially since there in now an available fix for the door latch complaints.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I saw on Ebay F100 with battery grip for $169 + shipping from Japan, add in the cost of replacing the latch pretty solid camera, but no F5. Then again I have a Minolta 9, due to weight I usually carry a A800SI or 9XI, reserve the 9 when shooting in bad weather or need the higher FPS rate.

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I recently bought a f100, a very nice camera. What's the issue with the door latch? Mine seems fine.
Mine is fine too. But apparently the plastic nubs on the back that engage with the latch are prone to breaking.
There is a repair kit around now, the guy who makes it posted info about it in here several months ago.

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Mine is fine too. But apparently the plastic nubs on the back that engage with the latch are prone to breaking.
There is a repair kit around now, the guy who makes it posted info about it in here several months ago.

Thanks I will take a look next time I load up.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
One thing that you can do to extend the life of the film door is to hold the door release catch up as you close it, so that it does not snap shut.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I recently bought a f100, a very nice camera. What's the issue with the door latch? Mine seems fine.

One thing that you can do to extend the life of the film door is to hold the door release catch up as you close it, so that it does not snap shut.

As with all cameras I treat them with care and I have never had a problem with the F100 door and I have owned it for 10 years. I am very happy with the F100 which is my go to camera for serious 35mm photography.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
As with all cameras I treat them with care and I have never had a problem with the F100 door and I have owned it for 10 years. I am very happy with the F100 which is my go to camera for serious 35mm photography.

It's good that you have never had a problem, but with the number of broken F100s out there for sale, and the fact that a member is selling a kit to fix the doors indicates it is a problem.

If I had an F100, I'd buy that kit while it is still available and keep it as insurance.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I would hate to be on a shoot and have the latch brake loading film, my impulse is to buy a F100 and have a tech replace the plastic latch with the metal replacement as soon as I got one.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I would hate to be on a shoot and have the latch brake loading film, my impulse is to buy a F100 and have a tech replace the plastic latch with the metal replacement as soon as I got one.

If I ran out and fixed everything that I thought might fail I would run out of money fixing things that might not fail at all. Just treat every camera with care.

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
If I had an F100, I'd buy that kit while it is still available and keep it as insurance.

That's precisely what I did.

Not that I use my F100 a lot, I use the F6 most of the time when I want the "modern" nikon features, but the F100 is a great camera with one well known weak spot. I have insurance for that weak spot, and it was cheap.

If I go into a purge mode I'll sell the door kit with the camera. If I am using it and the door fails, I'll do the conversion.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom