SmugMug acquires Flickr

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by amellice, Apr 20, 2018.

1. amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fascinating news. Yahoo ran Flickr right into the ground. It's amazing that it has lasted as long as it has. Hopefully better days lie ahead for Flickr. They can't get much worse.

3. John Earley

John Earley Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'll reserve judgement for now. I've liked flickr and was kinda scared of whether Yahoo would kill it.

5. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yahoo did kill flickr. Killed it with neglect.

6. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Either they will mess with it and eff it up, or they won't. Yahoo/Verizon didn't mess it up, so I'm hopeful they will preserve its functionality and integrity as well. The worst case scenario is if they remove the ability to hotlink your content to display it elsewhere (a feature I use a lot), like what stupid Photobucket did last year. You can still find broken links by the million that point to broken Photobucket content. Talk about a legacy!

7. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yahoo trashed flickr to the point it was almost dead. This is great news that Yahoo will no longer be able to neglect flickr.

8. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The only think I liked about Flickr was the groups.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there's some great stuff on flickr. hope it doesn't change too much

10. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where Yahoo is concerned, neglecting it was better than if they'd tried to do anything. They've completely messed up the rest of their stuff, so I'm ok that they left flickr alone.

I agree with Paul that I hope they don't make it all pay-to-play and kill it that way. Our photo club uses the group function for our contests and communications - it works really well for us but I can guarantee people wouldn't pay to do it.

11. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Was/Is Flickr unique.?
    I am not hip to all the modern day names of photo sites, but.....Imgur, Photo Bucket, Etc etc....do they not have a similar thing.?
    People post photos and then other people look at them and make comments.
    Was there a lot more going on than that.?

12. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not unique as in sui generis but much bigger, well organised and (until recent years) well suited to people who wanted to present their photographs 'seriously' and not just as a dumping ground for snaps (it was well suited to that tho too).
    Plus it has a very granular social group system catering to a vast range of interests. The various film groups vastly vastly outnumber apug in terms of membership.

13. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Flickr = exactly what pdeeh describes. Flickr and Photobucket couldn’t be more different.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As I understand, Photobucket and Imgur are more like “image hosting” services. Flickr and 500px.com are more “photographer-oriented”.

16. peoplemerge

peoplemerge Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Groups:
    Wow, there's an interesting spot of news. I was CTO of Delicious, (remember del.icio.us?), another of these properties that Yahoo acquired and let languish. It was some years after Yahoo. I can imagine what these guys are going through right now.

I think what Yahoo thought they were buying was a lot of users, but in the end I don't what the value of those users was in the end.

And I was once a SmugMug member, it was quite well though-out, actually...

17. hoffy

hoffy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I for one welcome our SmugMug overlords......

OK, I have to admit, I like Flickr and really liked Flickr in its hey day. It was and still is an awesome platform for those who were into photography to upload and share their images online. There is a lot going for Flickr, except for one thing - being droves of users (but this could also be considered a plus as well. You don't need to filter out so much crap).

I have high hopes for this buyout. I hope that the new owners maintain the current subscriber model. That would be awesome. And of course, I'd love for them to give some attention to the bugs and features that kinda work. If they do, I will have no hesitation of dropping Instacrap.

18. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay... I liked Flckr too... even if was late to the party. I especially liked the groups as a way to learn and share common interests, and to "Follow" certain folks whose photos were consistently worth viewing, sharing and of interest. I'm not sure the Groups or their equivalent will survive the Flckr transfer. I did manage to transfer my stuff, and yes, Smugmug is easier at some things.
    But odd as it sounds, I wonder whether I'll be losing the Groups functionality? The thing about Flckr (Flickr) is that it's about the only social media I feel good about. Will Smugmug manage that? Dunno.

19. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only post photos on photrio.com

20. Ivo

Ivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Flickr lost it against Facebook. Sad. I like Flickr a lot. I started a group years ago, I saw the contributors leave one by one, only staring at there facebook.

Will Smugmug bring back the old Panache? No. They only want to catch some bucks of those who doesn't want to loose there on line portfolio.

At this moment, Flickr is down, BTW, I tried to upload some pictures and the result is the infamous Yahoo OOPS screen.....

21. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Flickr is not down here.

22. hoffy

hoffy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But, TBH, Facebook and its other products (instagram) are absolute Shite when it comes to actually looking at images. They are badly compressed and always look rubbish. This is why I keep on gravitating back to Flickr.

23. Ivo

Ivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    O yeah, absolute shite it is. Try to explain that to the FB crowd.

24. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best thing about Flickr were the GROUPS. I used them to learn a fair amount. There were groups for different films, developers, cameras, etc. and you could find like minded users fairly readily. They didn't visit all that often, but if you were patient.... waiting like I saw on one Group the other day... some nine years for a question to be answered, you might find it useful. The sample photographs folks posted into these groups were very useful and I found there were a few photographers whose style you really could begin to recognize. What happens now? Dunno. Probably all is lost. Flickr had increasingly become the ONLY social media that I liked for it's relatively benign impact.

25. hoffy

hoffy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still can't believe how good a resource Flickr still actually is.

I have been trying to find large format studio portraits to look at. In Flickr, I type in the search bar "Large format portrait" and it returns me approximately 20,000 results.

I try the same thing in Instasham and get, well, nothing. To find anything on instasham, you need to make sure that the photographer gets the right combo of words in the one specific hash tag you are trying to search on. Seems that it can't search on 2 or more tags at once.

It would be a shame for this resource to disappear....

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  26. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hoffy: Exactly!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.