SMOKE

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Kilgallb, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, it is Smokey skies everywhere in Alberta, BC, And Washington state. The last time this happened I tried filters and the best I got was Iimages where you could not tell if you were seeing fog or smoke. So my goal is making it no doubt the haze is Smoke. I am thinking colour.

Any advice.

2. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never tried to photograph smoke myself, but I guess I would do it systematically at first. Try colour film with no filter, and then subsequently with each filter you own. Record the order you did it in. Then do the same for black and white. After processing see which one captures the smoke the best. You could probably speed this up by using a, ahem, cough, digital camera, cough, cough. That way you could move on quickly to capturing the photos that you want. Good luck with your photos.

3. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might try a 812 warming filter on the premise that smoke should be warmer than fog, which (at least to me) is cooler and more neutral visually.

4. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Remove your UV filter: no filters at all.

5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dehaze filter in PS/LR works.

6. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I shot a forest fire a couple of weeks ago and I didn't find any noticeable difference between an orange filter and no filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.