Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

sixby45

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi everyone,

I have used a variety of cameras in the medium format space but I've just gotten a great condition Rolleiflex 3.5F and for anyone who is on the fence go for it!

I've been shooting with a mamiya RB67 and C330 lately and the sharpness while good with both of these lacks the German micro contrast in my opinion (others may disagree).

I went back and forth over to go the Rolleiflex route and I have to say I'm very glad I did!

I'll post some around the city shots soon as I've just developed my test roll of portra 400 - and it's really something else :smile:

Just wanted to hear about any other love stories from the Rolleiflex folks and encourage anyone who is on the fence to take the plunge.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
A 2.8D and 3.5F (I cover the selenium meter when I'm not using it):

IMAG6512-1.jpg

Buy them while you can; they're not making them anymore.

chip j

Shooter
35mm
Yes, I was extremely unhappy w/my C330 lenses--weren't sharp.

guangong

Shooter
Medium Format
I have owned my Rollei 2.8F since about 1969-1970. Well built rugged machines. Dropped mine onto asphalt lot ( in case) from about 4 1/2 feet...only damage was shearing the little pin that helps keep back closed. Very compact and sits well in the hands. Responds quickly. There is a reason Rollei was once the camera of choice for both artists and news photographers.
However, I strongly recommend getting a case. Next to camera, that would be the best money spent.

OP
OP
sixby45

sixby45

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for the advice about the case GuanGong - much appreciated! I'll be strolling the streets at lunchtime today around Chicago to see if I can snap some more snapshots before the weather turns too cold. Also need to stop by the camera shop (central camera - great place) and see if they can fit me with some alligator clip strap attachments.

JPD

Shooter
Medium Format
I have an almost mint 3,5 F with Planar that I bought in the early 1990's, and I use it when I want that little extra sharpness and contrast, and for colour. My latest Rolleiflex is a mint 1939 Automat with uncoated Tessar, and it's of course also very sharp, and I have been using it for black and white. It's lighter than the 3,5 F. I have more Rollei's, but these two are the ones I have been using most in recent years. I have all the accessories I need. Very convenient, easy to use, cameras, and the results are excellent. :happy:

NB23

Shooter
35mm
I own Two 3.5F and one 2.8E.

Sexy stuff.

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
Don't have a 3.5F or 2.8 anything, but I do own and love using my MX-EVS. I really enjoy strolling around with it loaded with 400 speed film and handholding; what a joy and the pictures are plenty sharp for any size enlargement I typically make.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
A while back I was seeking a 3.5F to go with my 2.8F. I wound up getting a Rolleicord instead. I really love these mechanical Rolleiflex cameras. I never had any desire for any mechanical Leica, but these Rolleiflex TLRs just fantastic. Your post makes me want to go looking for a 3.5F.
2 rolleis.jpg

Arklatexian

Shooter
Multi Format
A while back I was seeking a 3.5F to go with my 2.8F. I wound up getting a Rolleicord instead. I really love these mechanical Rolleiflex cameras. I never had any desire for any mechanical Leica, but these Rolleiflex TLRs just fantastic. Your post makes me want to go looking for a 3.5F.
View attachment 210443
While I, too would like a 3.5 Rolleiflex, I am quite happy with my Rolleicord iV and would not be surprised at all if its lens is as sharp as a Rolleiflex. 3.5. The quality is there even in the less expensive equipment.........Regards!

R.Gould

Shooter
Multi Format
I looked at a 2.8 rolleiflex recently but the lensa had balson problems, I already had a 1954 automat, and earlier this year bought a 3.5 T, plus I have a rolleicord 4 and 5A2, and they are my second all time favorite cameras, I also have 2 microcords, and the ross xpress lenses have the edge on the tessar lenses, but I love them alland would not be without any of them

guangong

Shooter
Medium Format
Sixby45, if your strap is wearing out,DO NOT throw it out. Rollei straps are getting very expensive. A highly skilled shoemaker can replace the leather in the clips. I had my strap replaced with a strap at my specific length, so no buckle. If you happen to stumble across a Rollei strap, grab it!

Dan Daniel

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Sixby45, if your strap is wearing out,DO NOT throw it out. Rollei straps are getting very expensive. A highly skilled shoemaker can replace the leather in the clips. I had my strap replaced with a strap at my specific length, so no buckle. If you happen to stumble across a Rollei strap, grab it!

AND along the same lines, be VERY careful of old leather straps in the first place. Dried leather can snap easily, without warning. Sending something like my first Rolleicord to the sidewalk and an early death.

I've fallen into the Op/Tech pro loop strap system for my Rolleis. A little pushing will get the loop through the Rollei strap lug. It falls away nicely when you lift the camera. I throw out the center neoprene section, cutting off the clips and sewing a 3/4" nylon webbing strap material in its place, but this is my preference. You also simply remove the center section, clip the two connectors together, and have a nice wrist/safety strap.

Chrismat

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've liked using the Rolleiflex and Rolleicord cameras that I've owned, but I never end up keeping them. I really like my Autocord, Microcord, Kalloflex, and Mamiya C220. I do want a Rolleiflex as a keeper, I'm hoping some day to get a Rolleiflex 3.5C or possibly a 2.8C to keep permanently.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I've fallen into the Op/Tech pro loop strap system for my Rolleis. A little pushing will get the loop through the Rollei strap lug. It falls away nicely when you lift the camera. I throw out the center neoprene section, cutting off the clips and sewing a 3/4" nylon webbing strap material in its place, but this is my preference. You also simply remove the center section, clip the two connectors together, and have a nice wrist/safety strap.
Optech also makes all sorts of connectors that will allow you to attach "normal" straps to those connectors.
Personally, I like the neoprene section for some of my cameras.

EdSawyer

Shooter
Multi Format
I have a 3.5F, and love it. It was my gateway drug into the Rolleiflex world. Now I have a wide and tele to go along with it, and am looking for a 2.8F to try out also.

And then there's the sublime Rollei exotica like the 2.8F Platin Edition - so many nice ones out there, that inspire rabid desire...

pentaxpete

Shooter
Multi Format
I did a VIDEO about my 4 Rolleiflexes -- stories behind them Print results etc --- you can see it here :

albireo

Shooter
Multi Format
Hello everyone, loving your Rolleiflex stories, keep it up!

Just a question, where I live 3.5F are hard to find, whereas Rolleicord Va and Vb are pretty easy to find.

Those of you who own or have owned both - would you say a Cord is a good purchase? Does it have any of the traits of its more famous older 'sibling'? Cheers!

Last edited:

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
I had a Cord Vb; very nice results. And, because Cords weren’t generally used personally they’re usually in better used condition than a Flex.

mitrajoon

Shooter
Medium Format
I have both the 3.5F and 2.8F. Both are great, but for some reason (lighter more compact?), I enjoy the 3.5 a bit more.

Have fun!!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom