Series 93 Polarising Filter

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by SteveT, Apr 21, 2018.

1. SteveT

SteveT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi!

I am thinking of purchasing a polariser instead of a ND filter for my 40mm lens. I have read up a bit on the merits/demerits of using a Polariser - the uneven darkening to skies on very bright days in particular. My question to those in the know who have used a Polariser on a 40mm or very wide lens is is this problem universal at all times of the day and year. What conditions have to exist for this uneven cast on the film not to take place.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give me.

Steve

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes I have used polarizer filters on 21mm, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm lenses. With 21mm and 24mm the corners may darken more than you want for some situations, but that is why most people use slrs so that they can see what they will get. Rangefinders are just so 1930's. :laugh:

3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Polarizers darken skies best at right angles to the sun. They have little effect when pointed towards or away from the sun. At angles between these extremes, the effect is uneven from side to side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.