Selling prints on e-bay and elsewhere

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Doug Hook, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    IMO the trick is to step up to the plate (plate of your choice) and show one's work directly to the people who will evaluate: Accept, become enthusiastic, reject, ignore, ridicule.

I found it easy to develop advertising agency clients that paid my bills by showing my work to their art directors, most of whom have serious formal art educations as well as their own ongoing artistic activity.

Art directors pay photographers to deliver work that meets requirements. If you like a photo in an ad, it means somebody has delivered what you like and has probably been paid well. Same applies to art gallery exhibitions.

2. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Question....do you print-sellers make more $$ online or through galleries? Do you mind paying galleries good % for their help? Not a theory question. Are there galleries that actually and regularly show your work?

Locally we have galleries that routinely sell prints @ $1000-3000 and I doubt the photographers mind paying large % for the service...many of those photographers are shown by multiple galleries in different regions.

Me, I rarely show prints...make my $ by making photos.

3. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I misled by saying "make my $ by making photos." I'm mostly retired from any job, only very occasionally making money from photography. When I was 100% photo I sold to clients I'd pursued or through professional referral (e.g. ad agencies)...I had no interest in hanging my work in galleries but I spent a lot of time enjoying the work of photographers who did exhibit.

Galleries can provide worthwhile service to photographers...they put money upfront to pay for their facilities, their employees (gallery sitters, janitors), and their/your marketing. It's outright ridiculous and extremely unfair to damn them for charging a lot for what they do. They're entitled to charge whatever the market supports and if that doesn't work for them they go out of business. Life in the slow lane.

4. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi again jim10219
    i forgot to add
    getting $1 profit is too much like getting
    10¢ royalty checks from
    "the super terrific happy hour"
    send me a check for $3K im happy :smile:

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's your problem?Sell them if you canna person willing to pay for your prints is the best judge of your photography; all the best!

6. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ancient poster...yes it cheapens your work if it sell them for peanuts. Better to donate for free if you cannot get something approaching reasonable in $.

But just depends on your goal. Is your goal to be a museum photog and produce valuable works of art or is it just to get your work out there at any cost?

If you are not interested in being a museum photog, then do what you like, it does not matter. Araki got his start with a artist's book that was made with a copy machine that he sent out to random people in the phone book. It is boring as hell. I got photos of it I will post someday to my blog. Point is, photogs have a natural affinity for showing work and making prints.

When you die, good chance your pix will die with you if they are not in collections worldwide. So best to get them out there one way or another if you want to give them an afterlife. Vintage photography adds an extra value to the work. Even mediocre work becomes masterpieces when they are old.

[​IMG]

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have seen few threads with more "no longer seen" members than this one. No point in giving advice directly to the OP as he hasn't been seen for almost 8 years. :D

pentaxuser

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.