Scratch devaluation on Rollei 50mm PQ

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jfdupuis, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jfdupuis

jfdupuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I would like to ear opinions from others about something that bother me since I received my new lens. The lens in question is a Rollei 50mm PQ. I was expecting it to be in good condition, but it arrived with scratchs on the rear element. I contact the seller about this, and he offers full refund if I wish to. As, the price was originally quite good, I'm thus evaluating the possibility of keeping it. I exposed two rolls to check the impact on image quality and I'm really unable to see any effects. However, the lens as really lost some market value. I'm not planning to sell it back, but I would like to be sure to pay a fair price. I watched the market price for such a lens over the last few months, but I have a hard time to estimate the effect of a scratch on the value of such a lens. So I would like to ask you what do you think a Rollei 50mm PQ with a scratch on the rear element, that is not apparent on the picture, worth ?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd probably just keep it. If really necessary, you'd apply a bit of black marker / ink to any large scratches. I don't think we'll be able to determine a price, really... why not just value it (somewhat arbitrarily) at ~10-20% below the price you'd pay for an unscratched one....