Scared to even go out

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by JCook0113, Nov 25, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    JCook0113

JCook0113 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I currently have a yashica d, it's been a lifesaver because most people relax when they see a vintage camera.

2. OP
    OP
    JCook0113

JCook0113 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you like the northeast? I loved visiting the cities up there and even portsmouth was very interesting.

3. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was young, we had no Walmarts, nor did anyone else. However things have changed and a family in Bentonville had a lot to do with that. I have not been there but have been east of there and remember clear, fast running rivers (photogenic), mountains, valleys, all sorts of things. You could have it worse, like if you lived in a big city and feared for your safety at the hands of thugs. Use a tripod and really blow the passerby's minds. Yours is a familiar story to a naturally shy person.......Hang in there!........Regards!

4. nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had a couple of situations where l was confronted while taking photos, or where people would comment behind my back, thinking that l wouldn't understand them. Wearing a Nikon around my neck and looking around, makes me look like a tourist in my own city!
    Anyways, a couple of months ago l was taking some photos of some building with a very interesting facade, and an older guy, maybe in his 60s crept up from behind me, waited for me to take the shot and then asked me why l was taking photos there.
    I tried to explain what l was doing, but the guy insisted that l could see through the windows and that l was taking photos of people, rather than the building, even though l was standing like 100ft from the building. With a Kiev 4. I thanked him for the ''heads-up'' and went my way, there's no use in arguing with people like that.

The other day, l was taking a photo of a VW Samba, which was handpainted with various colors, like a hippie van, and a couple of girls, probably thinking that l wouldn't understand them, said something like ''look at this guy, he's probably taking photos for his instagram''. You should've seen their faces when l looked at them and told them that if they liked what they saw, they should drop a like or two. Normally l'd just look at them and say nothing, but that day l took out my brand new 50mm 1.8D, so l was feeling especially confident!

I've missed plenty shots because of the feeling that you described in your first post. Just take the photo if you like what you see, and if someone walks up to you and asks you what you are doing, politely explain and perhaps have some photos ready on your phone to support your story. Soon enough you won't even notice the fear, you'll just be snapping!

5. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love New Hampshire. It’s a lot like the Ozarks but milder summers, lower humidity, and even the snow is nice. There’s even a fair share of rednecks up here but with a funny accent. Cost of living is higher tho.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be in the Ozarks and near family. But there's no work back home for the type of stuff I do for my day job. New Hampshire is the next best thing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jcooke0113
    i think you figured something out that is extremely important
    the point is to be non threatening .. vintage cameras help that... :smile:
    one thing that i found helpful is if you see a property / thing you want to photograph
    go upto the person who is giving you the look introduce yourself and ask them about what it is you want to photograph
    even ask if they want to have their photograph taken .. people are always flattered about that sort of stuff
    and it usually is a good ice breaker ...
    i sometimes have a few photos in my car and a biz card i give out so they know who i am and what i am about...
    website on my phone is helpful too ...
    being a known quantity, someone people see doing your/his/her thing is also important ...
    not sure if you have found him or not .. there is a photographer here named colin corneau
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/media/users/colin-corneau.23083/ who lives in canada
    who has been photographing his town/city for years. he's a fantastic street/street candid portrait/ photojournalist/portrait/atmospheric/sense of place /photograph interesting people and stuff / fill in the blank
    photographers you will ever see.. i'm always in awe of his work because he makes it look so easy :smile:
    have fun and to quote bill murray in what about bill .. baby steppin' ...
    john

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. TheRook

TheRook Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    So true. And with a camera such as the Yashica D, it is unlikely anyone will assume you are some sort of investigator collecting evidence.

8. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm no good at lo profile, maybe because I can't resist asking people whazzup, even if I'm afraid. I didn't start out that way as a kid, but I discovered that it pays off. I'm still afraid sometimes but the upside is always there. The payoff is that everybody has an interesting story about themselves, or thinks they do.

Nobody ever asks me what I'm doing because it's obvious. As an aside, nobody knows what's "vintage" unless they're into cameras but a big camera on a tripod gives you some dignity (or sez yer nutz).

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not only do you get interesting stories, but also when security people or alike get an eye on you, I found it beneficial to approach them before they approach you.

10. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, this is if you are a social person. If you are not social, then you don't like to talk to people, you just observe. The social talkers will have an easy time with street portraits and asking permission.

11. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not always the case. I used Widelux at a Catholic street fair a few years ago and they threatened to call the police if I didn't leave. I was taking photos of kids. I had not learned as yet a man taking photos of stranger kids is a pedophile in societies eyes.

12. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, never argue. If people want to talk, that is fine. As long as words do not evolve into actions. Once there is an issue, walk away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.