Scanning tutorial

Discussion in 'Scanning and Scanners' started by Eric Rose, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. amberfergs

amberfergs Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks!!! this is great. I was just thinking about scanning since my photoshop wouldn't return my rolls

3. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

As far as I can make out, this involves the use of the wet scanning attachment which costs ~ $100 when bought separately.

4. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    It cracks me up that people regurgitate things from the past like they invented them. I have been scanning straight on the glass with an anti newton sandwich for a decade probably and I am probably not the one that thought of it first. Not the ideal method, but it works. You can get anti glare plexiglass for a few bucks at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskol...in-Non-Glare-Acrylic-Sheet-1X09241A/301109740

5. OP
    OP
    Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've done the same, or just use the holder than came with my scanner. Both work just fine.

6. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

The anti-glare acrylic sheet is also available on ebay. A poster here gives the best height setting for the Epson holders, I assume this is also the best for the thickness of the acrylic sheet:
    https://www.photo.net/discuss/threa...-the-epson-v700-to-achieve-maximum-iq.452756/
    I do like this method of including the film rebate in a scan of an image to be printed as it clearly identifies the print as made from a film negative.

7. Doug Fisher

Doug Fisher Member

>>A poster here gives the best height setting for the Epson holders<<

There is not a single best height that applies to all Epson scanners and their film holders! Each person has to test for their scanner on their own AND make sure they have their film absolutely flat during the test or they will get a false reading. From the feedback I have received, the majority of people find their V7xx/V8xx scanners require in the 2.5 to 3.25 mm height range but it is not uncommon for people to report 2.25 to 3.5 mm (with some people reporting even farther out along the curve).

Don't rely on what other people report works for them. Take a small amount of time to test for yourself. Short-cutting very likely will short-change you and your scans!

Doug

8. albireo

albireo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe I'm missing something, and pardon the rant, but if one is interested in scanning 35mm film, why bother with a flatbed at all?

You can find excellent Minolta Scan Dual III or IV scanners for beer money (yes, cheaper than any Epson V700/V800) on ebay any day. These are AUTOFOCUS scanners: the sharpness I get from mine is outstanding. Ease of use is great. No need to tinker with wet mounts, modified holders, newton glass and other gimmicks.

A Scan Dual and a copy of Vuescan will produce 35mm scans that will blow the pantaloons off any of the scans I see every day on blogs like the above, or flickr. Heck, even a used Plustek 7400 will achieve almost the same., in spite of them not being autofocus film scanners. Really puzzling.

9. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

10. albireo

albireo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I see, thanks for the clarification.

11. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. I thought of it first. :D

12. Patrick Robert James

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Hey, I told you I probably wasn't the one to think of it first! Lol.

13. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doesn't the manufacturer design and calibrate the unit.
    who calibrates the focus point by adjusting the mirror in a dslr so it is correct?

15. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scanners are not individually calibrated hence there is variation in focus plane.

16. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do you know the manufacturer does not calibrate their equipment before shipping? It seems to me the the manufacturer designs the focal point of the lens to focus at the level where the film will be held by their film holder. At a minimum, the lens bracket holds the lens so that it will focus on that point.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the manual for the Epson Perfection V850:

Image is Distorted or Blurry
    If a scanned image appears distorted or blurry, try these solutions: • Make sure your original is not wrinkled or warped. This may prevent the original from laying flat on the scanner glass. • Do not move your original or your product during scanning. • Your product will not operate properly while tilted at an angle. Place it on a flat, stable surface that extends beyond the base of the product in all directions. • Adjust these Epson Scan settings (if available) and try scanning again: • Select the Unsharp Mask setting. • Adjust the Auto Exposure setting. • Increase the Resolution setting. • Click Configuration, select the Color tab, and adjust these Epson Scan settings (if available): • Continuous Auto Exposure • Click Recommended Value to return the Auto Exposure Level setting to its default value. • If the solutions above do not work, move the sliders on the film holder to adjust the height between the film holder and the scanner glass. You may need to scan at different heights to determine the optimum 90 focal point for your film, which may differ from frame to frame or image to image. Set all the sliders to the same height. (Their default height is 0.12 inch (3 mm) and indicated by the arrow symbol.) 1 0.18 inch (4.5 mm) 2 0.16 inch (4 mm) 3 0.14 inch (3.5 mm) 4 0.12 inch (3 mm) 5 0.1 inch (2.5 mm)
    (Emphasis added by me).

18. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These instructions do not mean Epson doesn't calibrate it at the factory to focus on the nominal setting of the film holder. They just give the user the option to recalibrate it or change the calibration at home. Frankly, the instruction, "...which may differ frame to frame or image to image..." asks a question. What would cause that to happen?

As an aside, my V600 that does not have adjustments as your V850.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not my 850 - I don't have one.
    I'm just familiar with the fact that flatbed scanners are notorious for requiring that the film holders be adjusted to ensure proper focus.
    Even my now unusable Minolta Multi-Scan required focusing.

20. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Epson now includes film holders with adjustable height so you can fine tune the focal plane for maximum sharpness. Users here have reported different adjustments.

21. Doug Fisher

Doug Fisher Member

>>Doesn't the manufacturer design and calibrate the unit.<<
    For whatever reason (manufacturing tolerances, quality control, lens variability, etc.), there is variation. Epson feels the variance is within acceptable range but users have proved that with a bit of focus height adjustment film scans can often be improved (there are some scanners that come out of the box with correct focus though). That is why I introduced variable height after noticing the issue. Epson copied it shortly thereafter. Another reason for variability in sharpness is not having your film flat. If you look at your film when it is snapped into an Epson holder, the frame can cause the film to arch or sag in the center by 1 mm or more. That means the center of the film might be in better focus than the edges (or vice versa) That means you can be chasing your tail trying to find the optimum focus height because it can change each time you insert a piece of film.

Doug

22. Patrick Robert James

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    If you really wanted the best scans for film out of a flatbed, the best solution would be to adjust the focus to the plane of the glass and wet mount.

23. OP
    OP
    Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are two scan I just made of some 35mm Delta 400 negs. One is the sheet of negs in plastic sleeve that are laid on the glass. The second is a scan of just one neg in a the Epson film holder. Both are sharp as far as I'm considered. I didn't fuss with either one, no sharpening only levels. The camera used was a Olympus AX probably set at f8.

scan on glass.jpg

scan test delta 400002.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.