Rolleiflex 6008 integral 2 battery issues

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pradheep thavamani, Nov 7, 2018.

1. pradheep thavamani

pradheep thavamani Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have Rolleiflex 6008 Integral 2. I’m using Hi-Drain Li-MN batteries. I purchased new batteries, after I charge these batteries camera is on but shutter is not working, I can’t change ISO and metering. So I thought something is wrong with batteries. Again I purchased another new three batteries I tried without charging them and camera is working perfect. Again I charged the batteries now the camera is not functioning like before. Now I have tried twice with new batteries I don’t know what to do. Any solutions?

Battery image link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lvmv7w89rfyu9i/20181107_192601.jpg?dl=0

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't recognize those batteries. The Rolleiflex battery pack should look like this on the inside. There are eight 1.2V NiHm or Nicad cells in series and two thermistors. Rollei Battery Pack.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What is the current rating of the original sintered-plate nicad battery that came with the camera? It will be rated in mAh.
    What is the current rating of the batteries you purchased off ebay?
    What is the voltage rating of both batteries?

5. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex 6008 Integral as well. Sounds like a weak battery. Are you sure the batteries you have match the camera's need? I have had issues with both Li Ion and NiMH battery replacements for this camera. I went back to using the original NiCad battery pack with newer (smarter) charger than the Rollei one. I get 3-5 rolls per charge. Not great, but with 2 packs I can get through a day's shooting easily.

6. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have purchased this pack, too. You should have gotten a charger with the pack. The seller's intention is to leave the battery in the camera and charge it with the included charger. I was reluctant to do that, knowing Lithium batteries can overheat and catch fire. Didn't want that happening while charging inside my camera.

The terminal connectors are on the funky side and will loosen up after removing the battery pack a few times and no longer make good enough contact to power the camera. Try pushing on the pack in the camera and see if it powers up. I recommend getting a good conditioning charger and using the original NiCad batteries. I have tried the NiMH rebuild pack and it works fine but when not used for a few days it will discharge by itself.

8. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Batteries I have works well when I took it out of the box. It stops working after recharging, camera will turn on but like said I can’t change iso, metering, and shutter. I took this route because I didn’t my NiCad charger with camera. But I have original battery, what charger do you have?

9. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Your camera contacts may be bad as Pieter12 states in post 7 and or the charging circuit in the camera body is bad resulting in under charged battery pack.
    The charging system either senses the voltage of the battery while charging and turns the charging off when a given voltage has been reached or it is timer based and the timer is running fast.

A conditioning charger will charge, discharge, charge several cycles ensuring any memory in the battery has been eliminated.

10. lantau

lantau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have rebuild a pack with NiMH and have no problems whatsoever. I last charged it in May before an event and a major holiday trip to central Asia. It's been going strong since then. I'm planning to charge it again in January, before a trip to Hong Kong, just to be sure.

11. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is no issues on camera power. It will turn on but I can’t change settings like iso, metering etc. By the way I don’t charge the batteries while it’s inserted into the camera. I take it out and I charge it. Problem is camera working perfectly when the batteries taken out from the box, once I recharge it stops working. It’s hard to rectify the problem. Only solution I have right now it’s better to use original battery. What charger your using to charge NiCd batteries?

12. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The original shows 1.25 amps, so that's 1250mAh per battery.
    The replacement shows 650 mAh, That's about 52% of the original's capacity. Fully charged they will only power a fraction of the shutter fires/ camera operation of what the original will provide.

A faulty charging system and lower powered batteries spell troubles you are experiencing.

13. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Batteries are working fine when I take out from the box. Camera works fine, once they are recharged this problem occurs.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What is the best charger to charge my NiCd batteries?

16. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The charger may show they are fully recharged but likely they're not.

17. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I checked with voltmeter it shows 11.1V on the pins. Now I’m going use original battery please tell me what charger are you using?

18. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. OP
    OP
    pradheep thavamani

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  20. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use some pins I had hanging around in my toolbox, I think they are from multipin automotive connectors. I you could use nails that are about the same diameter as the pins in the Rollei charger.
    IMG_6797.JPG IMG_1971.JPG IMG_4687.JPG

21. RauschenOderKorn

RauschenOderKorn Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you read the offer carefully, actually the 6008 integral2 is listed under the headline “not supported”

22. itsdoable

itsdoable Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do not have a 6008 Integral. But...

The original Nickel Cadmium and replacement MiMH battery's have a nominal voltage of 9.6V, with a full charge voltage ~10.4V, to a discharge voltage of ~8.9V.

The Li-Ion pack you are using has a nominal voltage or 11.1V, with a full charge voltage of 12.6V, and discharge cut-off around 8.5V. Fully charged, it's 2 volts higher than a full charged stock battery. The Integral may not be happy with the higher voltage, but OK when the battery is 1/2 discharged (and the voltage is lower). This may be why the seller specifically indicates that the 6008 Integral II is no supported?

Current draw should not be an issue.

I don't understand the "I can't change ISO" comment, isn't ISO set mechanically by the dial on the film back?

23. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my opinion the most elegant solution is a 3 cell lipo. I charged mine in Feb. and it is still full charge today.
    6008 battery composite.png

24. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you rig that yourself? If so, would it be possible to get directions and a material list? It would be greatly appreciated.

Pieter

25. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are several misconceptions in this thread.
    1. Volt meters do not put a load on a battery therefore the voltage read does not indicate its charge or its capacity in the case of non rechargeable batteries. A 10Kohm resistor across the battery terminals will provide the maximum load a focus motor or similar will put on the battery. Its normal for batteries to drop a tenth of a volt under load. The color code for a 10 K ohm resistor is brown, black, orange, and the 4th band is the tolerance which is not important for battery testing. Read the colors from the end with the color band closest to the end of the resistor. A 100 K ohm resistor can be used for non AF cameras, its colors are brown, black, yellow.
    2. Camera electronics use solid state devices such as diodes, transistors, and IC chips. Solid state devices are current dependent and will operate within a voltage range, usually 5% of the stated nominal voltage.
    In post 1 the OP links to a replacement battery he purchased that has a 650mAh rating. In post 3 the linked battery pack uses 1600 mAh batteries. In post 5 the link to the factory original shows 1250 mAh batteries are used and the new batteries to be 650mAh.
    Replacement batteries must equal or exceed the factory original in current rating or they will not operate the camera correctly or the operation time will be very short. The replacement batteries must be the same voltage as the originals or modern equivalent.

Rolleiflex USA shows a rebuild service for the batteries using high power NiMH batteries as well as a charger for the batteries. https://rolleiflex.us/collections/r...l-2-medium-format-slr-cameras-and-accessories
    The USA link may not show up in other countries in which case use your favorite search engine for Rolleiflex your country.

A charger rated for lower current than the battery will take longer to charge the battery while one rated for higher current will charge it faster. Heat is a destructive force on batteries. Extended charging times or fast charging may over heat the battery causing damage which will shorten its useful life.

Good luck getting batteries and charger for these beast.

26. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflex USA used to use Laflex here in Southern California to rebuild the batteries. Last I spoke with him, Laflex no longer offers this service--he has had too many quality issues with the NiMH cells.

As far as the Lithium battery option that shows up on *bay, I have one of those and it powers the camera (6008 integral) fine, just the female terminals are not made to be used much, they don't make good contact after a number of uses (battery removal).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.