Rollei SL66 - any fans/users?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Colin Corneau, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

1. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I lucked into a pretty good SL66 system - body, 80mm, 150mm, side grip and cable release, two backs, filters and even the metal suitcase.
    Never used this system before, and it didn't come with an instruction manual. I can look up some basics, but wondered if anyone here has experience with this kit, and can offer some hints, tips, warnings, or general all around information.

I'm excited to try it out, but didn't want to fiddle around with any knobs, levers or buttons before knowing more.

Many thanks - Colin

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fan here. Always wanted one since I got my first Rollei back in the 1980s. But I have never owned one. Manual should be available on-line.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. 4season

4season Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    IMO, a wonderful system provided that you don't need high flash synch speeds. It shines at macro work, and in fact the 80mm lens can be reverse-mounted with no additional accessories, allowing focusing down to 1:1 (with tilt!) if I recall. But don't forget that bellows factors come into play at close range, think these are printed on the side of the camera). I spent quite a bit of time using the camera w/80mm lens, but that was years ago.

Prices for accessories like rear lens caps, body caps etc were painfully high when new despite generic appearance and would be great candidates for 3D printing.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
  6. OP
    OP
    Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks all!!!

7. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All is said; best camera there is. I own a SE. If you like I can make a copy of the 'Scheimpflug Indicator' and the text in German.

8. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A very good friend of mine owns one and loves it. I've handled his camera but that is it. The Rollei lenses are said to be just as good as the Zeiss lenses that you can get for it.

I don't know if you shoot portraiture but with the focal plane shutter and bellows focussing you can cobble old soft focus and petzval lenses to the camera with tape. Enjoy!

9. RauschenOderKorn

RauschenOderKorn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fan & user here!! It is a great system with superb optics and built-in tilt and reverse-mounting capability.

Challenges: the film backs use some kind of detection system (thickness if I remember correctly) to determine the starting point of the film. That needs regular CLA and the back is sensitive to unintentional mishandling. Follow the instructions on how to load the film and how to handle the back exactly, else you might end up with a spacing problem between shots or worse a jammed film back / jammed camera.

10. Frank53

Frank53 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That’s my experience as well. Although my SL66E was like new and well taken care of when I got it, it was on it’s way to the repairman or just returning home. Seems to be a bit over engineered. Sold it and got a Hasselblad. No problems. I’m a happy Rollei tlr user for almost 45 years now, but no more SL66 for me.
    Regards,
    Frank

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    When I went to trade in the Mamiya C330 with three lenses and every accessory for it in the known world, Samys camera steered me away from the slr Rolleis for those reasons towards the Hasselblad. I have never regretted it. On the other hand, there are those that love them and use them without problems and to them I say "Enjoy!"

12. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great fan of this camera as well. Unfortunately, the film transport mechanism broke on mine some years ago and I have not used it since. Although I bought a Hasselblad later, I regularly miss the SL66 and should have it repaired some day.

13. flash26c

flash26c Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't forget to cock the shutter before taking a back off. Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera for repair work, CLA.

14. RauschenOderKorn

RauschenOderKorn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know I brought up the point, but don´t forget: I am both: user and fan. I have a SL66 and a SL66SE, and both camera´s have not required any more attention than respect for the manual and the occasional film. The SL66SE has been to the workshop once - unfortunately it got jammed due to some "repair" made by the person who sold it to me (lasted for two rolls only). Since then, everything has been fine, and the SL66SE actually is my favourite SLR.

If you need any repair / help on this side of the pond for an SL66/E/X/SE, I can recommend you Mr. Paepke http://www.paepke-fototechnik.de/

15. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.