Rollei 6008 strap confusion...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by film_man, Nov 15, 2017.

1. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello!

Do the Rollei 6000 cameras take the same strap as a Hasselblad or as a Rollei TLR? This in Optech https://optechusa.com/super-pro-strap.html shows a different fit for Rollei but I think that means the TLRs. Are the SLRs the same? Confusing with all these different fits..

Cheers!

2. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one for a SLX looks different. I cannot say if the later 6000 series models were the same as the earlier SLX (the first 6000 series camera)

Just take a look:
    slx-magazin-004.jpg slx-magazin-005.jpg

3. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I used to have a later 6003 and used the OpTech strap. Those thick OpTech straps are great for heavier cameras. Totally recommend them. Very comfortable.

4. RauschenOderKorn

RauschenOderKorn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I remember correctly, there are four different fixtures by Rollei:

The TLR fixture (I believe with the exception of the GX which has a series 6000 fixture)
    The series 6000 fixture as shown in the link by the op
    The SLX/SL66 fixture as shown by lantau
    The Hy6 fixture

For which camera do you need the strap?

5. OP
    OP
    film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a 6008i.

6. OP
    OP
    film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great thank you. The 6000 have a different attachment.

7. OP
    OP
    film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aha, so is that the type B as Optech indicates then? With the square cut?

8. RauschenOderKorn

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suppose option B is correct.

Rollei originally has a round cut, but what matters more is the opening. I can only measure full mm, so not as accurate as the guys from Optech. My 6008i2 has a 4mm opening in the fixture, so option B should be the right choice.

9. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The one I have is square, so yup.

10. OP
    OP
    film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all very much!

11. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me know how it works out. Looking at it and the SLX camera lugs, I'm not clear how it attaches unless you add a whipping end. Must be something I'm missing in this.

12. RauschenOderKorn

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    See post #4. It is not supposed to attach to an SLX, but to a 6008i.

13. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually went to the 6008 sale brochure for a photo and now it's clear. THanks! Doesn't look like there's a end to this strap that works directly with the older SLX lug, but would require one of the nylon chord loop fittings attached to the ends.

14. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to do that with the quick connect loops from Peak Design. If you use it a lot there may be chafing sooner than on the usual camera attachments. I didn't see any on mine, but I rarely used straps so far.

I'm in Hong Kong, now, and hope I'll use my Rollei strap a few times, if I'm brave enough to walk the streets with the MF camera. :cool:

15. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lantau: Yep!!! I have a Peak Design heavy duty strap I (re)bought for my Bronica SQ-A. I'd had one with a a Fuji X-T2 mirrorless DLSR for use with some of the heavier lenses, but let that go when I sold it. But in trying it with the Bronica, I didn't like it, saw there was still a lot of chaff, and the thing just didn't work, and got more in the way than anything else. So I switched that out for a Gordy wrist strap with a leather bumper. That's not working either, but at least it's not really in the way and offers the option of letting the camera hang from a wrist. Fact is I don't really do that all that much 'cause I have speed grip. And yet I've been too lazy to remove it. Am I right that you have an SLX and a 6008?

16. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were at least two different straps for the TLRs prior to the GX - there was the "gator-clip" or "scissors-clip" style on the 2.8 E/F/Tele/Wide, and then there was the peg style on the A/B/C/D.

17. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, only 2x SLX.

18. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah.... that's a sign of a core decision. If the OP will allow me to ask, how did you settle on the SLX rather than upgrading? And what lenses do you use ( i guess we all have some we have but don't actually use ) and/or recommend? Thanks!

19. OP
    OP
    film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update for anyone else looking for rollei 6000 straps...in the end I bought the Optech Connectors Super-pro B. That's just the connector, not a full strap. I used to have a super pro in the past and found it too bulky (though very comfortable). I also bought the Optech Uni loop connectors so that I can then connect the hippy strap I have with my Nikons. That wasn't that comfy and it was too long and ugly (long optech nylon parts with hippy strap attached halfway up) so eventually I cut the Optech connectors, kept the metal and plastic fastener that attaches to the camera and bought a PeakDesign strap. The PD loops go into the Optech plastic and metal fastener and they actually secure the plastic bit much better than with the standard Optech strap, as the weight of the camera does that (you'll know what I mean if you have the strap). A bit of a waste to get the connectors (getting the Optech connectors and destroying them) but it now feels like a normal strap.

20. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well... this is a timely bit of news. I've just acquired a 6008 Integral myself and looking for the security blanket. I've been using a Peak Design "Wide Load" type with my Rollei SLX2 and it is "okay"; "not great" and/or "gets the job done", but a bit too wide. I used to have an Op-Tech strap on a pair of Fuji binoculars long ago for sailing.... and it's selling point was that it could float them, but you never wore it, so it was kind of useless. IF by "hippy strap" you mean something like a guitar strap.... that makes me think you might have a really good idea. Post a picture!

PS: I know the Rollei strap looks a little lame and of course with Rollei emblazoned on everything, I suppose it makes one appear more a fanboy than one might want... but it might be the right width and made for the job? Ever try that?

21. OP
    OP
    film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the Nikons I've got something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...866105?hash=item25eb2515b9:g:j2gAAOSw301aYPWm

I have the "Slide" strap from PeakDesign, I quite like it and the connectors are nice, I like to attached/remove straps all the time, when I'm in the house for example I remove them.

I haven't tried the Rollei strap but it probably does the job best. Come to think of it, when I had a RB67 I avoided buying the Mamiya strap just because it had a huge logo on it. I tried the SuperPro, some other stuff, all crap, eventually I gave in and got one and it was the most comfortable. Should have just tried that!

How are you finding the 6008i?

22. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah... that strap looks like a guitar strap at heart, and ought to work fine.

So far... and today is so far as the camera just arrived this week so that today was my first time out with it... I love it! Relative to the SLX2 it is a real step forward. Have to wait and see how the shots come out, but if they don't it's likely "on me". Even though it's technically heavier, it feels lighter because the sport grip / handle... is closer than the grip I have for the SLX. Much more refined and akin to current shooting standards... for auto. Typically I am Mr. Manual, but love to have AUTO for just "snaps". But today, since I'm thinking to get a CLA for good measure, I just wanted to put the whole through it's paces. And it really handles nicely. Well thought out. Great weather... high 60's and sunny today. So I shot about 5 rolls. With rain in the forecast for tomorrow, I'm hoping to develop a few. At the moment, the only PQ lens I have is the 80mm. But for the SLX2, I have a set 50-80-150-250 that I call my Barry Thornton Rollei Set (he had a SL66)... since I'm a fan of his work. The 250 is a shelf queen and there as a rare user. Mostly I'm a Zeiss shooter, so the Rollei sucked me into the vortex. Not sure how or why I didn't go down the Hasselblad route, but I didn't. Guess it was to have something like a Leica M6 TTL in Medium Format.

23. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Been a Roller 6008i shooter since was a new product and I must say despite the relatively lamer look and thicker style the original strap has proven to me to work the very best. Clips work perfect and strong; the strap is grippy when needed and when flipped over has a good light slip making it easy to swing off the shoulder quickly. The shape also lets the camera hang well with the lens. I would encourage you to seek the original strap at least to try. I've seen them around theres still new old stock. Enjoy the camera, wonderful handling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.