Rollei 6008 Integral - Meter Dial Question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JWMster, Jan 28, 2018.

1. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a new-to-me Rollei 6008-I and wonder whether someone can identify what the 4th position on the meter dial on the left side of the camera does? The first three are Spot, Center Weight and Multi-Spot. Then at the very last (fourth) position is a Green shape. Maybe the shape was more clearly identified once upon a time, but I can't make it out at present. I cannot find a description of this in the manual. Maybe it's there, I just can't find it despite reading it over several times.

Appreciate any help you folks can offer. Thanks!

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Resets the 'custom function.'

3. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah.... good. Thanks. Assume this is related to customizing the weighting in the Mutli-Spot? Methinks it also must involve the programming paddle.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At one point I thought I read of some way to set custom functions without the special programming box. I can't find the reference, so maybe I just imagined it.

On my camera the display reads 850 and some fragment characters when the diaphragm button is pressed (and the dial is set to the green "R").

5. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doesn't that just figure that this is the way it is? Looked at the units on Eric's RolleiUSA website and they're almost as much $'s as a I spent on the camera body! And doesn't that just figure, too? What we need is a collectively owned unit.

But thanks! This is one of the nicest cameras I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. Thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is on page 60:

(switch 44, position M)

EDIT: this is from the manual of the 6008 Integral2 which is not appropriate!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well... thanks! Seems one of my problems has to do with the English manual for the 6008 Integral... which stops at page 50. I will cross check the 6008 Integral 2 manual in English to see if something else is listed there. But at least you've given me a start... both AgX and IC-Racer. Thank you! Also glad to hear from Rollei 6000 series shooters out there.

8. Ferdi

Ferdi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To reset a 6008i to factory settings: Turn knob to 'Reset custom functions' position (green), then push small 'mirror up' button on left side of the camera and let button go. Turn knob back to any other position of your choice. It is on page 20 of the 6008 integral manual. The above reference to page 60 is for the 6008AF/i2 manual. That is not the right one. At this point the 6008i2 is quite different.

Settings can be changed and restored with the Master Control Unit (MCU). The on-camera reset procedure is more like an emergency measure when the MCU is not on hand.
    Ferdi.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Ferdi, I did not realize that the respective switches were different between the 6008 models. It was the first time I read a 6008 manual, the camera is beyond my funding...

10. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ferdi: Thanks! Ditto AgX - well-intentioned. Note I found my 6008 Integral body for roughly $ 550 Euros... which isn't expensive compared to a Leica (film) M. The PQ lenses don't have to be pricey either - if you stick to the higher volume production, core threesome of lenses (50mm, 80mm, 150mm). Seems a fair deal, though clearly not the bargain Bronica SQ's were. But a bargain is no bargain if you're better able to resist the GAS. In that case, good for you. I've pretty much maxed out for the year myself.

11. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About the manuals, https://rolleiflex.us has them available for free, you have to go through the cart process as if you are buying them but they are free and it is the proper manual in PDF. I've also recently bought a Maxwell screen from them for my 6008i, night and day for focusing, massively better. Well for $300 it should be. And finally, I had the battery recelled as NiMh, so far much much better performance compared to the dying NiCad it had.

12. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Which of the Maxwell Screens did you get? I've talked with Bill a number of times. Haven't pulled the trigger. My current screen DOES leave something to be desired as it is a bit scratched. Prices are better for Maxwell screens for Rollei relative to the same for Bronica. So look on the bright side: You saved some $'s. Yet I'm still curious which of his you got? and did you have him scribe some lines?

13. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought this one https://rolleiflex.us/products/copy-of-maxwell-brilliant-matte-screen-for-fw-fx-ft-and-gx-tlrs

Completely clear, no marks at all, I generally don't want any marks whatsoever on any screens I have for all my cameras.

The reason I bought it from Rolleiflex.us is because I have dealt with Bill in the past getting a screen for a RB67 and it took forever to get him on the phone (me being in the UK and the time difference doesn't help), patchy email replies and then chasing him for a few weeks to get it done. I've also enquired over email at various times for screens for other cameras and never got a reply.

So, this time I bought it from Rollei and let them deal with the comms side of it. They got the screen in 3 weeks.

Great screen, my 6008 came with the grid screen, Bill's is much brighter and I can accurately focus on anything all over the surface, even in low light.

14. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    film-man: Thanks for the reply. Very useful information, and on the mark. I think the camera-side of Maxwell Optics is a small, bit player. ERGO the low priority. Eric Hess (Rollei USA) is a great to deal with. My difficulty is trying to decide which screen. I can see the utility of the split screen dot, but it'd be more effective with a brighter screen. Sometimes, I find myself tilting the camera all over the place trying to get the light to hit the split screen in a way that one half isn't shaded and unusable. So there we are. The idea of going through Rollei USA is a good one I hadn't thought of. Good for you.

15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a Beattie screen on my SLX for only a short while (just long enough to inspect my negatives). There is a direct trade-off between screen brightness and the ability to focus to an exact point. I went back to the original SLX screen,
    The original screen on my 6008i is great, it is bright and focuses very well. I never considered any change.