Replacing chrome on glass targets with ADOX CMS20 II Pro B/W film...

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

Louis Demers

Shooter
35mm
We use chrome on glass targets to align, calibrate optical equipments but would like more flexibility by creating our own targets. WARNING: almost total, novice been 40 years since i developed a film

We have some
ADOX CMS20 II Pro B/W film
ADOTECH IV developper
and my Minolta X700 con only be configured for 25 ASA and above.

We need high resolution and maximum contrast. we do not care about grey shades and such. I only found some Instruction sheet in german about development time/process and i see what appears to be contradictions with some info online... The fact that I cannot set my camera below 25 to 20 complicates things even further....

Any advice on the correct optimal process to expose and develop the negatives ?

Thanks in advance....

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
See if you can set your camera to ASA 25 AND set the Exposure Compensation to one mark towards +1 (so + 1/2 stop).

It's been a while since I had one of these, but some cameras do not allow you to pick an exposure compensation combination that would exceed the ASA range designed into the camera.

So in case the movement of the dial is blocked in that direction, do not force it. If you can pick 25 + 1/2 stop, then that is really close to 20. If not, it is 1/3 stop underexposure which is not significant.

For exposure, if you have a gray card, you may put that in front of the camera, find the exposure the camera would use.

And then, assuming you have set the X700 shutter and aperture manually, keep the same settings and remove the gray card to show the target and take a picture.

I'll leave others to explain possible answers to the developer dilution and time because I don't know it.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to Photrio from the other end of the country.
ADOX is a Photrio sponsor, and the link to the datasheets are on their website on this page: http://www.adox.de/Photo/adox-films-2/cms-20-ii-adotech-ii/
You should note that there is both an old and new version of the film, and there are separate datasheet links for each.
By the way, strictly speaking this particular ADOX sub-forum is designed more for their business announcements and similar material, and the general Black and White film and processing sub-forum is where these sorts of threads usually reside. Don't worry if the thread gets moved - no one here gets too upset when new members do things like that.
Hope this helps and you both get the answers you need and enjoy further time on the site.

ADOX Fotoimpex

Partner
Partner
Shooter
35mm RF
We use chrome on glass targets to align, calibrate optical equipments but would like more flexibility by creating our own targets. WARNING: almost total, novice been 40 years since i developed a film

We have some
ADOX CMS20 II Pro B/W film
ADOTECH IV developper
and my Minolta X700 con only be configured for 25 ASA and above.

We need high resolution and maximum contrast. we do not care about grey shades and such. I only found some Instruction sheet in german about development time/process and i see what appears to be contradictions with some info online... The fact that I cannot set my camera below 25 to 20 complicates things even further....

Any advice on the correct optimal process to expose and develop the negatives ?

Thanks in advance....

If you need high contrast set your ISO to about 80 and develop for about 6 Minutes in Atomal.

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Hi, yes, i can easily set it up to +2 while at minimum ASA setting of 25... Thanks for the info
Hi, thanks, as ADOX Fotoimpex says the setting for "this application" should be 80.
You can use my trick one day if you take regular pictures with this film and develop normally.
But with high contrast there is a little different behavior to expect from the film and 80 is a better choice.

When you shoot high contrast, I strongly recommend including a "cameraman's grayscale" in your frame. By strongly recommend, it is a very important thing to include. I had a high school teacher call kids "pinhead" when they did not include a grayscale, and I also had a prepress manager who would not even listen to your question about what went wrong if you didn't include a grayscale. The reason it's important is that with high contrast, an image is either black or it's white... and if you get a bad result, it is impossible to tell what the correction should be when you don't have a grayscale. With a grayscale on your bad negative, you can see a "step" where the negative changed from clear to black, and all you have to do to find the correct exposure from a bad negative is count the steps to where you want it to be (for example "solid step 3" is a common choice). Look for a Stouffer Cameraman's 12 step gray scale.

OP
OP

Louis Demers

Shooter
35mm
Welcome.....
on this page: http://www.adox.de/Photo/adox-films-2/cms-20-ii-adotech-ii/ ....
..... Don't worry if the thread gets moved - no one here gets too upset when new members do things like that.
Hope this helps and you both get the answers you need and enjoy further time on the site.

Thanks

The web page talks about CMS20 and Adotech IV but all the links to the PDFs in the page either point to Adotech III or even II. From another thread in this sub-forum ;-) i came to the conclusion that there were significant differences between III and IV such a dilution and developing times etc... I most likely have the newer film since i just purchased it from a store that probably has significant volume.

I'm sorry for picking this sub-forum but it popped up in my search with a similar thread so I thought this would be the one. I do not mind at all if there is a simple way to move it to the more appropriate forum for the benefit of all and posterity .

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks

The web page talks about CMS20 and Adotech IV but all the links to the PDFs in the page either point to Adotech III or even II. From another thread in this sub-forum ;-) i came to the conclusion that there were significant differences between III and IV such a dilution and developing times etc... I most likely have the newer film since i just purchased it from a store that probably has significant volume.

I'm sorry for picking this sub-forum but it popped up in my search with a similar thread so I thought this would be the one. I do not mind at all if there is a simple way to move it to the more appropriate forum for the benefit of all and posterity .

ADOX Adotech IV with CMS 20II : https://www.fotoimpex.com/shop/images/products/media/62175_4_PDF-Datenblatt.pdf

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom