Replacement filters for Thomas Safelight?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jeff Bannow, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So, I acquired a used Thomas Safelight to wire into my darkroom. However, both sets of glass need replacing. Are both sets usually OC? I would like to be able to swap between red and OC - this would require swapping both sets of glass, right?

I see a seller on eBay offering homemade replacements. Any idea if these are any good? The price is cheap enough. Other thoughts? I'd like to do this inexpensively if possible.

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IF you know the filter needed you may be able to get it from Roscoe. Cut it to size & mount it between glass.
    The Roscoe filters are not expensive.

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another option, which I'm using in one safelight, is to ditch the filter entirely and instead use a colored LED bulb. I bought a red LED bulb and it works great. This would require changing bulbs when you want to switch from red to amber, though, and the bulbs are more expensive than simple tungsten bulbs.

4. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get larger sheets of just the filter plastic. I can't remember for sure, but I think found it at B&H. I wanted to change my small safelights from orange to red, but didn't want to buy whole new safelights. I bought one sheet of the plastic ($16?) and cut it down (with a Dremel, took awhile but worked). I'm pretty sure the sheet was big enough to cut in half for two that would fit the Thomas (I have one that I'm not using).
    I think the bulb for the Thomas ones rules out LEDs, but I'm not totally sure. It's not a regular bulb, though.
    And I think you can buy replacement ones for the Thomas anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought the Thomas filters were designed for the sodium vapor bulbs. I bought a new set of filters for my Thomas safelight a few years ago, directly from Thomas (although B&H sells the Thomas filters also).

7. OP
    OP
    Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does Thomas have a website?

I can't tell by looking at the B&H site what I actually need. I would like to replace both sets of filters - the inner and the door filters. If I want to be able to switch between OC and red, I'll need a new set of each? This is starting to sound expensive ...

8. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, that's what I used. But I was making a new filter for a smaller safelight. I would swear I saw ones for the Thomas ones when I was looking, though. I might have done a google search and not just looked at B&H. I'll see what I can find.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.