Reminder: interesting archive of Popular Photography magazine, 1980s to 2000s

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Kodachromeguy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    https://books.google.com/books?id=rzH31j84pn8C&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1

Hi Everyone, you may all know this, but it is worth repeating: this is the Google Books archive of back issues of Popular Photography. Browsing a 1980s issue is like a walk through time for me. Does anyone know if 1960s and 1970s issues have been scanned? I was looking for an advertisement that showed the genuine Rolleiflex 2.8 and 3.5 twin-lens cameras. As I recall, new ones were still available around 1980. Cheers and happy reading.

2. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have found quite a bit from the 40s. I didn't know about this newer stuff. Awesome to read. Thanks

3. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I was aware of that Google Books offer, it is my only acces to these issues of that magazine. I wish I could read more magazines that way.
    American photo magazines are unobtainable used locally here, in the past I acquired some 60s issues of Colour Photography in Belgium.

5. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you!
    The advantage though with being able to read complete years's issues is that one can see evolvement of styles and attitudes.

7. OP
    OP
    Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. This is a spectacular archive. Is there a way to search with keywords or dates? It could take forever to go through the individual scans.

8. JimCee

JimCee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! This is a great resource of information for vintage cameras and equipment. The ads are some of the best parts of this Flickr member's photos!

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    T*H*A*N*K Y*O*U*!!

10. jjphoto

jjphoto Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. The more the merrier. I try to collect old photo magazines for the info in them, especially the ads.

11. avb

avb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    What a great resource. My favourite issues are the Decembers from the 90s with many 35mm cameras rated.
    E.g. December 1999 with reviews of Canon 1N, 3, Nikon F5, F100, FM2N, Contax AX, RTS III, G2, Minolta Maxxum 9, Leica R8, M6, Olympus OM-4Ti, Hasselblad XPAN, Konica Hexar, Minolta TC-1, Nikon 35TI, Yaschia T4, Olympus Stylus Epic, and more!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.