Release paper or not?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by norm123, Feb 9, 2018.

1. norm123

norm123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi
    I'm new to mounting, so I'm a bit confused about release paper. Is it ''kraft paper''? Some use release paper and some others not. Can we just put the picture with tissue on the backing, all of these between 2 pieces of mat?

Normand

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never used release paper. I sandwich the print/mat between sheets of mat board in the press. Never had a problem.

3. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Release paper is used to protect the platen from the melted drymout tissue , I believe it is silicon coated to protect it from the hi heat of the platen. I also use a sheet of matt board next to the platen, and the release paper between the Matt broad and print. The platen must have some protection from the mounting tissue that sometimes sips out from the edge of the print, it is really hard to get this tissue residue off the platten once it's been baked on the platten, making a rough surface that will damage the print. I think parchment paper has wax in it that might melt or stick to the print or platen.

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IF your mounting press platen already has tissue residue on it using a clean mount broad will protect the print from any bumps that are on the platen.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All kind of release papers have a non-stick coating, may it be wax, silicone oil or such, depending on the intended use.

6. mfagan

mfagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use mount board rather than release paper. I learned that mounting process in a John Sexton workshop and it's always worked great for me.

7. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kraft paper is fine, but is used like mount board to protect the boards and the print it may not be "archival" but I have never had issues, in my experience moisture moves into the preheated and dried kraft paper from the slightly higher moisture content of the prints and mat boards. Release paper is "sealed" and does not accept moisture but if you are not properly trimming your print and tissue before tacking it to your mount it will protect your platen from "squeeze out ooze", if your platen is bumpy clean it with platen cleaner. I used to share a press with a guy that used the edge of the platen as a tacking iron, THAT was annoying. Release paper comes in sheets, rolls and boards. All are fine.

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mounting press we had in High School the platen was covered with mounting tissue residue and scratches from students using it with out the proper protection for the platen, no amount of platen cleaner was going to help, only a matt board placed on top of the print worked.