Registration Issues

Discussion in 'Wet and Dry Hybrid prints' started by Bob Carnie, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am in the process of purchasing a few large rolls of film from Ilford for some specific projects in mind.

I have a few questions/observations that I would like to put forth.

I am not sure who to credit but I saw here.. someone is changing the size of negatives to reflect the shrinkage in paper. This at first seems to me a very practical way of approaching registration issues with multiple coats.

My question is this... if the paper has grain going in one direction I imagine that the shrinkage is greator or less going with the grain . or simply not *linear* (not sure if this is correct term)
    But when you reduce the size of the film in lets say a % factor the ratio is kept. Therefore I would imagine that on lets say a 30-40 inch image if you got the one direction matched, I think the other may not be a perfect match. Causing a mis-registration???????

Another ques or observation... If one used a very thick paper stock and mounted the paper to a very rigid stock using a quality mount material,,, I am thinking aluminum which is thin enough to be punched.. Would not the shrinkage be minimised???
    One would then need only to strip, or peel the paper from the support??

I have not tried either of these methods, but since I will be spending a few years on paticular projects in large print size , I am curious of your thoughts.

I have done countless multiple registrations images on 16x20 E6 films in the past , in fact too many. Registration was never an issue as all work was done first before the emulsion ever hit a chemical or wash.

Any thougths or comments on this subject would be appreciated.

2. dwross2

dwross2 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Bob,

Un-check "constrain proportions" in Image Size and then set each change individually. Note that the proportion change will depend on the original size paper, so I note where I started from. I work mostly with Fabriano Artistico and the numbers are amazingly consistent if I keep my working baths at about room temperature. For instance, to go from negative one to neg two, my notes say," 1=>2: Starting w/ 3.5 inch W: L minus .56mm x W minus .39mm. "

good luck,
    Denise

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.