Reaching the Kids

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by RattyMouse, May 20, 2018.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As much as I loathe Fujifilm the company, I have to admit, they are doing some things right. Yesterday my daughter had two of her friends over for a sleepover. All 3 of them are in fifth grade. I was in my study scanning some film when I heard the unmistakable sound of INSTAX film being ejected from a camera. One of her friends brought over an INSTAX camera and they were having the time of their life snapping photos of each other. By the end of the night 20 shots of INSTAX film were shot.

Of course my two kids have INSTAX cameras, but this was the first time I saw one of her friends bring over camera.

Good to see the young kids shooting film.

2. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ratty Mouse from my understanding it seams to be not possible to "reach" kids.Because they are allways reaching themself by themselfes. So as we all have been as childs.And they are also allways affine to things wich are modern and brand new. They love products out of their own period.
    with regards
    PS : ......so : if Kodak will bring out New Ektachrome and a new Camera
    (I can't say if Kodak's Super8 camera plans are canceled meanwhile).....kids probably would also love it because to kids it would be "brand new stuff" not so with dad's boring digital 40Mp digital camera. (= old stuff ....4 years old):whistling:

3. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I'm sure there will be kids running around with Kodak's new $3000 camera. FFS, why do you write stuff like this?

4. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Because to make clear : Younger people are using dad's old film camera out of one simple reason : It is new stuff (they don't have seen such film equipment before) and next reason : They are having it for themselfes - parents don't use film. Yeah and indeed you mentioned it : So if Kodak would spent much much money like Sony or Samsung or Apple in a great campaign to introduce the new Super8 camera with special "New" Ektachrome your kids would ask you : "Would you buy this dad ? We would wish this for christmas.:cry:.....
    with regards
    PS : But pls. don't be afraid : Kodak
    c a n c e l e d
    the camera (not the film) !!!

5. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looney tunes.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are incorrect. My daughter's friend had a Minnie Mouse INSTAX camera. Hardly her parents camera.

Provide proof that Kodak cancelled their previously announced camera. Without that, that's just unsubstantiated rumors.

7. ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love INSTAX! I only discovered it 3 or 4 years ago, but after buying the Wide 300, I bought the Mini 90 Neo Classic. These cameras are a hoot, and they produce some fine little photographs. Take one out at any gathering and the ooohs and ahhhs won't stop. "Is this a new camera?" "I had no idea Polaroids were still available." Etc. People adore getting their picture taken and putting it in their pocket!

It's a toy, and it is just as fun for this old geezer as it is for teens.

My "INSTAX Shoebox" is growing all the time. I just wish the film was a tad cheaper.

8. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed. I shoot my kid's INSTAX cameras a lot. It never gets old.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IDK RM
    the kid's parents might be mini mouse fans ...
    you know, they come in all ages !
    ( years ago a workmate had her whole
    apartment decorated with a loony toons theme so ... )
    if they had a charlie and lola instax i'd buy one for myself.

10. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh my god ....fellows !!!! These all the time misunderstandings.....:sad:
    Sometimes I felt you intended to missunderstand (just sometimes).
    Let's shortly solve that "rumors".
    As I stated in post #2 ..... [I can't say if Kodak's Super8 camera plans are canceled] I meant this in a general context! Indeed I will repeat this sentence - so listen : " I can't say !!! [if Kodak gave up/canceled the (whole) Super8 plan (excluding Ektachrome Super8 film).] But I would imagine the strategy with new Super8 cameras is in process of canceling (in total). But I can't say.

The expensive Super8 camera you mentioned explicide (the $3000,- version) is definitive canceled (moth ago)
    with regards

PS : May be there is comming one "professional" Super8 system after relaunch of Ektachrome but this would be no "Kodak camera"
    But I also don't think so (no one of other companies manufacturing motion picture cameras in the past would bring out a new super8 type series.)
    So pls. notice : The expansive Super8 Kodak type is out of plan.:blink:

11. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My daughter has had her's for a couple of years. A couple of her friends also have Instax cameras. My wife recently returned from Japan with a lot of film for her. Part of the reason Instax is popular with kids is because it's ...instant. Like their phones.

12. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is definitive, then perhaps you'd supply proof of this claim. Second request.

13. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah - you want to know my source :cool:? I will give you first this announcement (sure you perhaps are knowing it since jan.18)
    www.Kodak.com/gb/en/corp/blog/blog_post/?contentid=4295004933 (the kodak update jan. 09, 2018) :angel:

I will continue soon.....

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought my daughter (she's fifteen now) an Instax a few years ago - now she prefers my Land camera "Automatic 250" ...

16. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure how "The camera will be available to purchase on kodak.com and through select retailers in 2018." means the have discontinued it. Perhaps you could clarify.

17. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok this link is funktionally. Now (yes you möcht know this) pls. read it again! The reason of all the Super8 trouble is mentioned (more indirectly) : mechanical contruction,mechanical design.But this is just the half of the true.Listen : to rebuild an electronic device today is no great deal - some wonder about features like Usb conectivable or high resolution monitor, sound record on sd cart a.s.o - thats a case of expensive design (investigating in construction/ lab research) but it is
    still managable to EK (from the costs).....and Kodak had invested that money (you remember that prototype ?)
    Within the interview is stated that therefore some thinks had failed (mechanical correctness) and (I hope) that is solved meanwhile.

So we have to wait a bit ????
    :whistling:

Let me tell you EK is desperately seeking a way out of this (to be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.)
    The real case is the following :
    construction is still a problem!
    There is a difference (you might also know) between a prototype and
    a way in (mass:D ) production.That's
    in regard of the total number of all small mechanical parts, the reliability of that parts (material properties [no plastic] a.s.o.
    Comming to marketing (from there is my source) a production in small
    quantities is possible but realy expensive (Kodak has to spent a little money on each selling $3000,- type) as mentioned month before Kodak is thinking also about a low cost camera $700,- - 1000,-.
    And here comes THE point : Research has shown that a low cost model could have little more demand from users (so the production scale is possible much higher in direction of the double or a little more ...3 times????) but there is still no way of a quite cost-effective production.
    DUE TO MECHANICAL PARTS:blink:

And the $3000,- model is a need to establish the production process to efficience(quality) but there is not the number of estimated orders !!
    Management will tell you official (problems due to that or due this a.s.o) But you have still to wait for this - may be there will be a wonder comming next - but the high expensive model is (after today stand) out of plan.
    with regards

PS : I don't believe in wonders but
    for example Leica has still experience in mechanical production
    But there is also no mass production to come to a good price.

18. HerSmokeySun

HerSmokeySun Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A thirteen year old relative of mine uses a Pentax K1000 that her mother purchased used in the early 90's for art school pretty regularly, and enjoys using whatever medium format camera I'm gushing over at the time. She also loves Instax cameras and taking photos with her phone. She's a pretty curious kid and wants to try lot's of things so YMMV, but I think a great way to reach out to people--young or old--is to talk to them about film/let them see you enjoying it, and then if the situation allows, allow them enjoy it too. For instance- I like carrying around a Lomo Instax Wide in my bag in case someone is curious about my main camera. It's fun (on both ends) to follow-up a quick discussion about film cameras with an instant photograph portrait to serve as a neat memento of the time they talked to the weird guy with a weird camera. : )

To add to this, I believe Instax, Polaroid, etc. captures another important aspect of enjoying photography that many people on this forum bring up- having a tangible, physical print of a photograph one has created. And while there's a lot left out when comparing a print made meticulously in the darkroom versus an image that pops out of a camera, a lot of the magic is still present in the process.

19. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    None of which means that Kodak has cancelled the new Super8 camera as you previously asserted.

20. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once again Trendland proves he has not the slightest shred of credibility. Nor seemingly any concern for this fact.

21. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You DO realize that no one here, not one person, believes you.

22. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry to tell you both -
    But this is the true :sad:.

with regards

PS : Solution : You just have to ask about a cheap Kodak Super8 type
    (max. 1000,-bucks) and you have to pre-order 10.000 pieces ......

23. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have NO idea what the word PROOF means. None whatsoever.

24. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Irrelevancy and lack of cogency ... :unsure:

25. Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see anything from that link that indicates a cancellation of the camera. I'd be interested in your source as well just for my own curiosity. I was surprised they were going to even introduce one wondering who their target market was. Obviously they changed it from Joe Blow (when they had a very low price point on it) to film school/professionals when they raised the price into the thousands.

26. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    RattyMouse pls. I am not responcible for. ....ask the management of EK who failed (perhaps we might speak about failures [meanwhile]?)
    To be more concrete : "Who might be responcible for the delay of the full concept and that desaster wich may hazard the complete Ektachrome revival advance" (first the new camera - same day the new film)?
    Of cause not that experienced technicians or others! Of cause not ! More concrete ? A person who is not such affine with techniques but is responcible : The product manager who was set off years ago and came back : Proof ? www.schwaerzel.de/Job/KODAK2.pdf
    with regards
    PS: Responcibility is a niche value today :mad: