Questions on Mamiya RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mike donahue, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mike donahue

mike donahue Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm interested in purchasing a mamiya rb67. I currently shoot with a yashica d but would like to switch to 6x7. I know there are different versions of lenses for the rb67, i.e. c and kl. I've read that the kl lenses are newer with a different coating. Is there a big difference in the c and kl lenses? Should I opt for a kl lens or just get the c lens? Also, if I were to get the rb67 pro-s body, would I need an adapter for either of the lenses? Finally, what would be a decent tripod <$150 to hold the rb?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It greatly depends on how much money you want to spend.
    There have been quite a few threads about it here lately.

Lenses: C - lenses are your best choice for money<>quality
    KL - a lot more expensive, they will fit a RB, just 2 need an adapter ring.

Tripod: Manfrotto 055 XDB with 410 geared head unless you want to mount the following combination:
    RB with prismfinder AND the 500mm, then you will need a slightly heavier tripod.
    But with a RB+prism+180mm (or smaller lens) it is a great combination.

By the way: welcome to the ever expanding family !

Peter

3. OP
    OP
    mike donahue

mike donahue Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you so much. Looks like I'll go for the c lens.

And on the tripod note, looks like a put > instead of <. I'm actually looking for something cheaper than what you pointed out. Does a tripod exist for less than $150 that will hold the rb sturdily?

4. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Tripod: you will have to try it out with the heaviest RB set-up that you can put together > RB+prism+180mm (or 250mm).
    The 055 is the lightest you can get that will serve you a life time without any problems, you can put an other head on it, but be
    aware: the 804 is too light for a RB +++

A good thing to do: go to www.manfrotto.com and downoad their cathalogue, it will give you many idea's.
    Afterworth you can check at B+H for prices.

Send me a PM if you have any other questions if you want.

Greetings,
    Peter

5. OP
    OP
    mike donahue

mike donahue Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks peter i'll try that out right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.