Question: Has there been any discussions regarding photographing children?

The Wedding

D
The Wedding

Rockwood Bungalow

A
Rockwood Bungalow

Posing

D
Posing

Saab 99LE

A
Saab 99LE

Fall

A
Fall

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rasicjoy
Recent bookmarks

Alex Benjamin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I think it is clear to everybody WHY i am taking the photo

How could people possibly know why you are taking the photo, especially considering most people don't have a clue as to what "street photography" is?

Shooter
Multi Format
I just posted a 4K video slide and video clip show on YouTube of my grandson's 1st birthday party. Of course, I listed it as unlisted so you need to get the link from me to see it. YouTube has this handy feature. You can also list it so you also need a password. A great feature for those interested in posting stuff on the web but wanting to limit access.

CMoore

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
For the same reason anybody takes a photo in similar situ. 🙂

It is not like they get pissed, or shepherd their kids away. They see me. They know i am not just taking photos of random kids
You r asking the wrong question anyway...........why does nobody ever feel a need to confront me when i shoot their kids.?

Answer........because it is OBVIOUS i am just a photographer, with 2 cameras hanging from my neck, shooting in public spaces with all kinds of normal activity taking place in a crowded city. It is normal.
Whether or not they know the definition of, or have ever heard of "Street Photography" is completely meaningless.

Shooter
Multi Format

It is not like they get pissed, or shepherd their kids away. They see me. They know i am not just taking photos of random kids
You r asking the wrong question anyway...........why does nobody ever feel a need to confront me when i shoot their kids.?

Answer........because it is OBVIOUS i am just a photographer, with 2 cameras hanging from my neck, shooting in public spaces with all kinds of normal activity taking place in a crowded city. It is normal.
Whether or not they know the definition of, or have ever heard of "Street Photography" is completely meaningless.

Maybe you have a nice non-threatening face.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
because it is OBVIOUS i am just a photographer

You may be obviously just a photographer, but people will still wonder why you want a photo of them or their kids. Go ahead and ask the next people you photography. They'll probably be surprised you were taking a picture of them and not of the surroundings.

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format

Alan answered the question, but it should be phrased differently: Because you don’t look creepy! I noted that no one has ever complained about my taking pictures of children, but of course my shots are not exclusively of children. Also, as I noted earlier on this thread, I often engage parents in conversation about education choices, pets, local politics...the way conversations naturally flow. We don’t lurk around sneaking pictures. Or carry outfits with huge cameras and
giant lenses, along with a fully stocked camera bag. It helps to just fit in.
The only common question asked by parents raised on digital capture is not “can you still get film?”, but, assuming my camera is digital, say “I have never heard of that brand? (Zeiss, Rollei, Makina...whatever I’m carrying at the time)

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom