Query about adjusting curtain tension on the Canon AE-1 (not 'Program')

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwameautarky
Recent bookmarks

David Lyga

Council
Shooter
35mm
I usually see two small adjusting screws at the bottom sections of most cameras, even on the electronic Minoltas, but with the original Canon AE-1 I see none when I remove the bottom cover.

The camera works fine, (despite some past apparent water damage). But the fastest speeds (250, 500, 1000) emit no light onto the film. I need to slightly increase the first curtain's tension so that there will be a slit at those fast speeds. Thank you. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
They are clearly visible (after taking off the coil). But less screws than gears.

But even with the coil still in placer you can reach them through the two respective holes in the coil's mounting plate.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Look at the electromagnet next to the contacts for the winder. Within its mounting plate you see two holes perpendicular to the front/back of the body. Through these holes you should see the gears.

The gear next to the front is setting the 2nd curtain, the one to back the 1st curtain.

Each gear has 4 tiny holes, use an appropriate 2-prong tool for twisting the gear.

Last edited:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom