Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

tonyowen

Shooter
Multi Format
DSCN0059.JPG

Got a Sirius 28-200mm ‘auto macro zoom’ – but do not have, nor cannot find, any user instructions.

The attached image shows the aperture ring to which I have queries:-

1] what does PU mean

2] why is f16 yellow, f11 & f8 green and f22, f5.6 & f4 white??

3] how is this lens used?????

Regards

Tony

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
  1. My name is copyrighted so use it with honor and distinction.
  2. On this lens, the color on the f/stop allows one to quickly pick out the depth of field line on the lens body.
  3. The knurled tube in moved forward and back for zooming.
  4. I am guessing that the Macro ring gets turned to the right when doing close up photograph.

OP
OP

tonyowen

Shooter
Multi Format
[QUOTE="Sirius Glass, post: 2136300, member: 18240"My name is copyrighted so use it with honor and distinction.[/QUOTE]

agreed and no doubt, but what about the PU mark?
also, unless the adaptor ring is misaligned there are unmarked aperture click stops between the
regards PU and the (f)4 mark.
regards

Rick A

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
If the mount is M-42 screw mount, then the PU does indeed stand for Pentax Universal. The lens is a push-pull zoom with standard twist to focus style. The different colors on the aperture scale is a quick visual reference for depth of field at that setting. These are made by Samyang in Korea and can be had with different bayonet or screw mounts depending on brand of camera ( Canon, Minolta, Nikon, etc)purchased for.

OP
OP

tonyowen

Shooter
Multi Format
If the mount is M-42 screw mount, then the PU does indeed stand for Pentax Universal. .
Thank you, a supplementary question :-
The lens has a 'macro ratio' from 1:4 to 1:7 - but rotating the focus ring does not improve focus when in the macro mode - [macro ring rotated fully clockwise].
What seems to work is to rotate the focus ring [clockwise] to 'the minimum' setting and then use the zoom to focus!!
Is this how it works or am I missing something?
regards

Rick A

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Thank you, a supplementary question :-
The lens has a 'macro ratio' from 1:4 to 1:7 - but rotating the focus ring does not improve focus when in the macro mode - [macro ring rotated fully clockwise].
What seems to work is to rotate the focus ring [clockwise] to 'the minimum' setting and then use the zoom to focus!!
Is this how it works or am I missing something?
regards
You got it,

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
PU in this context means Praktica Universal (mount/thread)

That thread was introduced in 1947 on late versions of the Praktiflex, but really got ground with the introduction of the Praktica in1949.

(By the way, to me the Pentax mount is the much later, though nonetheless widespread, bayonet Pentax K mount.)

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Non marked or between marked apertures are half stops. The half stop before f4 is f3.3 and the third stop is f3.5. F3.5 is a common aperture for the widest aperture on lens.
Macro focusing is achieved by varying the distance between the film plane and subject regardless of the lens focal length.
Having a zoom allows quick change of focal length which will also change subject magnification.
1:1 photography is subject actual size the same size it is on film. A 6 foot tall subject will need a 6 foot image area on a piece of film to record it life size.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom