Published APUG members

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by arigram, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recently had a series of family and friends portraits taken with my 8x10 camera published in B+W mag (UK), September 2010, issue 115.

I was filmed, along with three other photographer friends, using my 4x5 camera for the UK TV programme 'Country House Rescue', which was film at a wonderful old Scottish shooting lodge. We had a hoot of a time. One of my photographs from the shoot was also shown on the small screen.

2. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an article related to analog photography (quite in the spirit of apug!), and a couple of my photos published in the free online photo magazine "Blur".
    The link is http://www.blur-magazine.com/blur-magazine-19/.

My article is called "Analog Wabi-Sabi", and it's the first in a (hopefully) series of essays - mostly in the spirit of analog photography.

I'm also the author of several English translations for the current issue #19 :smile:

The "Blur" magazine can be freely downloaded in PDF format. It's published in Croatia, in Croatian and English language versions.
    And, I like to think that in the case of "Blur" magazine, the old saying "You get what you pay for" most certainly is not true :smile:

Denis

3. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This year I have been included in the Silvershotz Folio 2010 which is a presentation from the Silvershotz magazine of 32 new photographers and a selection of their pictures. On the webpage for Silvershotz there is a list of all the photographers and their webpage or e-mail addresses.
    On my own webpage ( heliochroma.com ) I will in due time include the pdf-file for my presentation.
    Best wishes for the Christmas and New Year holidays to all of you.

Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations:D!

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations, Karl-Gustaf.

6. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you , Charles and Black Dog.

Karl-Gustaf

7. Sandeha Lynch

Sandeha Lynch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photobook Just Out - Three Cities: streets in black and white

New book: Three Cities

[​IMG]

"Three Cities" contains 63 images shot on or just off the street in Singapore, Bologna and Montevideo. All of the photographs in the book were taken using black and white negative film and were shot with a Pentax 35mm SLR or a Rolleiflex TLR between 2003 and 2010. The book is in 8"x10" landscape format (soft or hardcover) printed on Premium Matte paper.

Do take a look. :smile:

8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My main publication is the book Way Beyond Monochrome, 1st and 2nd edition, but I also made a larger contribution to The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography, not counting numerous photo magazine articles.

Dead Link Removed

9. brass majestic

brass majestic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is a Utube video posting considered a published work?

[video=youtube;3U8JV9lPeUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8JV9lPeUg[/video]

This is a 5 minute video of some of my photographs around Detroit set to the music of the great Pepper Adams Quintet from a 1957 album. Anyway -- enjoy the music of a Detroit-born original baritone sax master.

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lots of pix in newspapers, college and local, as well as some work for the local musician's union. Rear cover of my old college catalog. The catalog one was shot on 4x5 C-41 (Portra 400NC), the musician's union stuff on b/w film, and the newspaper stuff on digital. Most of the stuff I shoot for money (and I am not a full time professional shooter) is for weddings. Plenty of my stuff was published when I shot products and advertising shots daily for a local business for about two years, but that doesn't count because it was for advertising the business and selling things online. I no longer shoot for newspapers, though that was my main focus for several years. I'd like to get back into it in a dream world in which I am able to do it for a respectable publication or agency, but unless it it at that level, it is really a crappy job to tell you the truth. Little pay, and constant work in high-stress situations with the need to get it right, or else you're a screw up. I could handle that for a time, but I am too lazy and care too little now. So I shoot and assist for weddings and stock shoots. I have a few series of my own stuff that I plan on putting into books. That's about it.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not analogue, alas, but was pleased to see one of mine in color on the cover (the executive portrait below the fold) of this New York Polish-language weekly, and another in B&W inside--

http://www.kurierplus.com/ [good for this week]

http://kurierplus.com/pdf/kurier887.pdf [PDF format available after the above link changes]

Unfortunately they don't include photo credits in general, so next time I may just put that in myself at the edge of the frame and see if they take the trouble to crop/clone it out.

I've been publishing other work lately in advertising, our semi-annual program, website, e-news announcements, press and such that I do in connection with my position at the Polish Cultural Institute in New York.

12. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    HESA Inprint, Issue 9, Oct. 2011. It is a Swedish/American magazine of fine art and creative writing.

Attached Files:

13. rudolf

rudolf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've just published an ebook with my texts and stories on photography, 13th Frame:
    Available both on Amazon and Smashwords, soon for iPad and Nook (you can also read it in PDF on your computer);
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006896M4A
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/105415

The content: some not-so-serious stories and essays on photography, lot's of images and stuff.
    Enjoy!

5497703041452225ce07455d4e1291b0b582ec84.jpg

More info:
    Dead Link Removed

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. j-dogg

j-dogg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I finally got published September in the local Brevard Live! magazine, which covers the local live music scene. I had the cover shot and the main feature. Though digital, it feels great to have my work out there. Lots of compliments, apparently I was good enough to be hired a second time for the cover shot for this month. I'll scan them when I get a chance.

16. Marc Akemann

Marc Akemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 2009 I was commissioned to take a series of photographs of a financial investor who was putting out a book. We drove to various points in his hometown of Detroit for the images. The other day I finally got a look at the book, "Good Returns - Making Money by Morally Responsible Investing", which came out in 2010, by purchasing a copy through Amazon. My photos are in there but with no credits. Another writer, who happens to be a good friend of mine and principally put the book together, is normally pretty good with credits for photographers. Oh well. At least I was paid for my work. -Marc

17. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just wrote an article for a new Swedish magazine - Inzpira. Previously I've contributed artwork to earlier editions. It's fun to collect thoughts in articles, I think.

18. brass majestic

brass majestic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I finally have my book published this month. It's a Blurb book I've been working on all year. It's a 10x8 hardcover with a dust jacket. 80 pages of my b&w photographs with poetry by eleven poets plus a few that I contributed.
    It covers the 15 years I free-lanced in Detroit for a few labor unions - The UAW, United Steel Workers of America and others. The book, "This Working Life", primarily depicts industrial laborers on the job. Other shots included are of working class people off the job and some industrial sites. Most of the poems were not created for specific photos but were paired via literary and visual connections. A hand full were written for specific photos. Anyone familiar with poets who write about labor and working class issues will recognize a few of them; Jim Daniels, Philip Levine, Hank Malone and Larry Smith. I was very fortunate to gain permission to include their work.

Here's the link to preview the book in it's entirety; http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2731932

Dead Link Removed
    http://rmarshallphotographs.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  19. Marc Akemann

Marc Akemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations, Russ. I really like your work and the book is something I'll add to my Christmas list. If I'm too late for that, I'll buy a copy myself in January. In the 80s & first half of the 90s I sold industrial equipment in the Detroit, Flint & general southeast area of Michigan. I had access to all kinds of plants & factories (The Rouge, BASF plants, Mobil, Standard Oil, GM Truck & Bus, Chrysler, Zug Island and dozens of smaller fabricating and manufacturing plants), but, I wasn't shooting a whole lot back then and when I did shoot my subject interests had more of a nature/wildlife propensity to it. Your book really captures the atmosphere of the time and places. Again, congrats!

-Marc

20. brass majestic

brass majestic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Marc. If only you had your camera back then ........... I like your train/bridge shot!

Russ

21. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But you were credited for your beautiful work in Bertie Bonell's Domino's Farms coffee table book. :smile:

22. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Amid all the publicity stuff I've been shooting, it's nice to get a few of my B&W shots from around New York into print in the latest issue of Habitus magazine, a journal of Jewish diaspora culture. Each issue is focused on one city, and the current issue is about New York, but all the writing is by immigrants from other countries.

http://habitusmag.com/issues/new-york/

23. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My book Midstream: The Chicago River, 1999-2010 has just been released. It was published by Columbia College Chicago Press and is being distributed by the University of Chicago Press. It is available on barnesandnoble.com (http://tinyurl.com/7jzzqtn) and amazon.com (http://tinyurl.com/7bmrnwz) for pre-order and should be shipped shortly as the warehouse here in Chicago received them last week.

Attached Files:

24. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
  25. Lowenburg

Lowenburg Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for this opportunity, this sticky was a great idea!

My novel The Zorki Chronicles, about a young photographer, is coming out in September 2012. The first two chapters are available to preview on the book's website, http://zorkichronicles.com/ (Please visit the website and if it looks interesting please re-post the URL on Facebook and share with anyone you think might be interested)

AG: The International Journal of Photographic Art and Practice ran a feature article I wrote about Larry Fink in 2010 called Full Circle Apollo: Larry Fink Goes Digital at the Met. If you are familiar with Larry's book Night at the Met, my article is the "making of" story of that shoot. The article is a chapter in a book-length bio of Fink I'm currently working on, called Larry Fink: The Intuitive Eye.

Crash Burn Love: Demolition Derby (Back Street Books 2005), a monograph of 80 black and white photos and two essays, is still in print and available on Amazon and a lot of other places online.

PBS Point of View published excerpts of my Crash Burn Love essays on their website, under the title The Family That Demos Together.

BBC Top Gear also published a 16 picture excerpt from the book and called it 'Goin' For Broke.' I don't think that's available online.

Other stuff about CBL was featured in the UK in a magazine called CLASSIC AMERICAN and there was a feature article about it in the Daily Telegraph.

Picturing the Modern Amazon (Rizzoli, 2001) includes some bodybuilding photographs I did on my 6 year project, The New Body Electric.

"Bodybuilding Lowenburg Style" is a chapter about my bodybuilding photography (I'm NOT a bodybuilder) in Leslie Heywood's book Bodymakers (Rutgers University Press 1998)

I was also a researcher on the authorized biography of Norman Mailer by Michael Lennon, to be published in 2013 (possibly 2014) by Simon and Schuster.

In addition to writing about photography I also write about boxing and profile other writers, as in my article "Hooking Off the Jab: Norman Mailer, Ernest Hemingway, and Boxing." (Mailer Review 2010)

Boxing photographs I took in Rahway State Penitentiary were published in ARENA (UK).

P.S. ALL THIS STUFF WAS SHOT ON FILM.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if you're interested in any of these topics!

Thanks again for the opportunity to share.

26. chesswiz1

chesswiz1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am happy to report that my images of The Durango and Silverton Narrow Gaurge Railroad are featured in the current issue of LensWork Magazine. It has been a fascinating project to work on, and also very challenging. I hope my friends at APUG enjoy the images!

BTW, the Durango train is wonderful and I hope some of you get a chance to ride the train someday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.