Pt/Pd prints - 1st image printed very good but the second gave me this ...

Discussion in 'Hand Coated Wet Prints' started by Minas Stratigos, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Minas Stratigos

Minas Stratigos Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Hello to this wonderful community,

I have been testing with Pt/Pd for some months and this week I managed to print my first image (using P.Mrhar method for the digital negative). Please see the Calla Lily attached. The second image using exactly the same process came out really bad (attached), any idea what went wrong? I tested my developer with a second print of the
    Calla lily and it was perfect so my developer is not contaminated (ammonium citrate). Can be the application of the sensitiser on the paper?

Your feedback is much appreciated

Minas

Attached Files:

2. Dan Pavel

Dan Pavel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Minas.
    Have you used the same paper for both prints?
    The paper color seems different.

3. OP
    OP
    Minas Stratigos

Minas Stratigos Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Hello Dan,

Yes it is the same paper and exactly same process. My temp is steady at 22C and humidity was similar-57% to 61%. Color might be different a bit due to the different lighting when i took the pictures with my phone.

4. nmp

nmp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Assuming that the 2nd Calla print after the bad print was not coated at the same time (i.e. from the same mixed sensitizer) and everything else was exactly the same, I am guessing something went awry in mixing of the various components. It is easy to mess up the drop counting or to switch the bottles, something I am prone to do myself. If you are not able to recreate this problem, hopefully this was a one-off event.

5. OP
    OP
    Minas Stratigos

Minas Stratigos Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Yes, the second Calla print was coated later this day using different sensitizer. I always coat my papers one by one as I let them dry in a box that fits one paper only.

6. Dan Pavel

Dan Pavel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This could explain the phenomena.
    Try to reprint the second print and if this time it comes OK it could be a mistake in mixing/measuring the solutions in the sensitiser.

Otherwise, the Ferric Oxalate in the sensitiser could be too old or impure/improper mixed in solution.
    A few months ago I've got some Ferric Oxalate solution from an ebay seller and faced the same problem with some Palladium prints - faded, yellowish colors with reduced contrast and no blacks at all. After changing the Oxalate with a proper prepared one everything was OK. Your faded print reminds me of how my PD prints looked.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  7. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would be my guess as well. FO lasts, at most, about 6 months and tends to die suddenly.

8. OP
    OP
    Minas Stratigos

Minas Stratigos Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    I used the same FO for the second print that came out perfect, i bought it from http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk a couple of months ago so I guess is not bad. I have an order from B&S on the way.
    Looks like the only explanation is a mistake in the mix. I will try again on in a couple of days and will post the result!

Thanks to all for helping out

9. OP
    OP
    Minas Stratigos

Minas Stratigos Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    I can confirm that it was a mistake in the mix, I managed to have a good print today (not very contrasty though), please see attached

Attached Files:

10. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    So that's good! Whenever you pin down a correctable problem, it's a good thing! Nice print.