Provia, expose at E.I 320 for +2 push?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Minoltafan2904, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just finished shooting my first roll experimenting with pushing Provia 100F.
    Reading some old threads i read that it's best to expose it as E.I 320 and then pushing +2 stops in the first developer.
    Just wondering has anybody any expriences with this, or did you rate it at 320 or just straight at 400, i was conservative and usually underexposed a bit to prevent blocked highlights from the overcooking in the first developer.

2. velviamax

velviamax Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did the same thing a while back. Still waiting for the lab to return it.
    I metered at 320 and asked to push it +2.

Will come back with results on this. Though I am very excited to read experiences others have had!

3. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a backlog of films i have to develop, i haven't even taken it to the lab yet and i shot it 3 weeks ago.

4. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would guess it is coming from the special experience of some.
    But we are knowing nothing about their special light situation while shooting.
    The general roule with "push2" is ISO setting (E.i.) ISO 400.
    If your exposure is at E.I. 320 you should get "light" overeexposure.
    Is push 2 "inefective" from bad workflow of some labs (I can not imagine ) it would make sence.
    But in case of doubts own experience on basis of exposure series in 1/3 stops should be netter.

with regards

PS : E6 should never be "overexposed" just a little. So E.I. 320 would not make sense ! E.I a bit over 400 (1/3 stop) should be the correct roule !!!!!!

5. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When pushing slide films they gain a lot of contrast so a bit of overexposure should control that.

6. lantau

lantau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used Ct precisa at e.i. 400 to see how well it works. Generally quite good, but Dmax suffered a little. Wouldn't overexposure make that worse?

7. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is a little depending from circumstancese I would like to state. Minoltafan let me trink about contrast increasings from push workflow with E6 ?
    Best method should be practice and corrections.
    with regards
    PS : I can't remember my last pushed E6 film. I did it just several times caused from wrong exposure - so it was never from intention.

8. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The guys at my local usual lab just started to offer C-41 and E-6 push processing, they told me if they screwed up at all they would totally refund me, so... i'm not too worried.
    Worst case scenario i get some strange looking slides of some cars, boats and a palm trees, nothing too important.

9. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got to see my slides of the two pushed rolls of CT Precisa i have shot :smile:

Number 1 was E.I 320 and +2 Push
    Number 2 was E.I 200 and +1 Push

I have no scans but here are my findings :

Starting with the roll shot at E.I 320 and +2 Development time :
    Grain : slides under a x10 magnification show no visible grain, equal to the +1 and normally exposed slides.
    Resolution and sharpness : Excellent, intricate details well resolved and very sharp as usual.
    Contrast : Noticeably higher than normally and +1 exposed and processed rolls, under harsh lighting either highlights blow out or shadows block up, however under soft diffused light the results are very usable.
    Colour / saturation : Noticeably duller than normal, and +1 exposed and processed rolls, reds, yellows and oranges specially for some reason seem de-saturated, skin tones remain accurate.
    Overall the results are very useable, but i would only do this when necessary to obtain enough DOF or shutter speeds.

E.I 200 and +1 Development time :
    Grain : Slides examined under a x10 magnification show no visible grain, equal to normally exposed and processed rolls.
    Resolution and Sharpness : Excellent, intricate details resolved perfectly and very sharp.
    Contrast : Slightly higher than normal, very small loss of shadow detail, negligible under diffused lighting.
    Colour / saturation : Very good, saturation very good and accurate colour rendition, skin tones perfect.
    In my opinion the results are comparable, just as good if not better as some ISO 200 slide films of yesteryear, better than for example some Sensia 200, Ektachrome 200 and Kodachrome 200 slides i have from the 90s , i was blown away by how good the results are.

Both rolls were shot with :
    Minolta X-700 - MD 35-105mm Macro zoom - 81A warming filter.

10. velviamax

velviamax Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Okay, so finally I got the roll back. And here are some results:
    Provia100fPushed+2007-.jpg
    I am quite amazed by the quality of the film and how details at 100% are still very nice. As a reminder I rated the film at 320 ISO and Pushed +2.
    Provia100fPushed+2010-Kopie 1.jpg
    More on my website: Dead Link Removed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.