Problems with a Hasselblad Lens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by arealitystudios, Feb 6, 2009.

1. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello All

I'm having a problem with my Hasselblad lens. It's a standard 80mm lens on a Hasselblad 500 c/M, Carl Zeiss with the T* marking on it.

The shutter on the lens seems to fire no problem, but whenever I cock the camera after firing, the lens stops down as if the depth of field button is pressed in.

At first it was only doing this once out of every five or six shots, but now it is doing this all the time. It's annoying to say the least. :mad:

Normally I would take the camera to the local certified Hasselblad repair guy, who I trust and have gone to for years, but last week he retired and closed up shop. Terrible timing!

So I guess my question is if anyone else around here has experienced this problem before and if so, it is a relatively simple repair? I'm probably going to have to send the camera out somewhere and if its going to cost me an arm and a leg I probably wont bother.

Thanks in advance!

2. I have not used him, but I hear that he is highly recommended for Hasselblad repairs.

David S. Odess
    Factory Trained Hasselblad Technician
    28 South Main Street #104
    Randolph, Massachusetts 02368 USA
    781-963-1166
    http://www.david-odess.com/
    Steve

3. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are in Portland? Why not take it to Blue Moon: http://www.bluemooncamera.com/

The aperture release is sticky - any competent camera repairman should easily be able to fix.

4. OP
    OP
    arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I don't think blue moon does any sort of camera repair. At least not in house. They do processing and sales and such, but not repair. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll give them a call...

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds like the problem is in the shutter, not the body.
    Try cocking the lens with it removed from the body, Does it react the same way?

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used David Odess many times, great work.

Mike

7. OP
    OP
    arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes. I'm positive the problem is in the lens and the body is just fine.