Printed a higher percentage of my earliest photographs.

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Bill Burk, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Got the idea that I would look through my negatives to find negatives I might have overlooked over the years that would be worth seeing as a print now.

When I got to the first book of negatives I noticed something striking and surprising (though it makes a lot of sense)...

I used to print a much higher percentage of my negatives than I do now.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to be the same Bill, I print far fewer of my negatives these days. I have been going back to when I changed and have found images worth re-visiting, As I tend to produce project based work some quite long running the way you think about using older work changes,

Ian

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am finding some of my negs have gotten a new life through scanning and using PS to do things I either could never do in the darkroom or couldn't be bothered to.

4. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Eric. I'm also finding interesting compositions within these negatives.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    While the quality of the compositions and negatives improve, I too am making fewer enlargements. I make contact prints or small prints of most of the negatives, but only a small set gets enlarged.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +2

7. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe lately, you have been showing your work to one who is more super-critical of your work: YOU!.........Regards!

8. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That doesn’t surprise me one bit. The more you do something, the better you get at it. And that includes developing an eye for composition, and recognizing a good shot when take one.

I come from a background of painting, so I print about the same number of shots per year as I did when I began. But as I’ve gotten better with a camera, I take less shots in general. I’ve learned that sometimes just because a scene would make a great painting, it won’t necessarily make a great photograph.

9. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've run out of wall space. Well, my wife says we have.

10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fewer, but better prints.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

:blink:

12. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was hoping maybe there would be an undiscovered treasure in my first few years... But all those have been mined.

There are some potentially interesting prints to be discovered in the years in-between.

But the really vintage negs have been covered.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pre my conversion and revelation of what I really wanted to shoot and why (which was 1986/7) I flogged my negatives to death for good images/prints.

I guess what I've found is from 1986/7 I've a treasure trove of negatives that didn't fit my then criteria, but by the early 2000's I've quietened down and that's less important, I shoot less, but have higher success rate in terms of no of images that'll be exhibited.

Ian

14. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    My B&W has gone through phases..always printed according to my taste at the time, as pre-visualized. With a few exceptions I'm not re-printing.

Seriously compelling is a hundred slide project, shot early 70s and processed by the E4 lab I managed (Media Generalists). Except for a few, I never printed these. Now I am starting to scan all of them (Nikon) to Canon pigment printing on Epson Legacy Baryta. They'd be better served at 11X17 but money will limit to 8.5X11. For now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bill

im also finding that a lot of the views i overlooked as not being the ones i printed
    are actually better than the ones i printed as i get further from the time the images were made
    its almost like a light bulb went off and i say, yeah now i get why i exposed that frame !

16. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's what I was hoping for... but nope... I seriously printed every old good negative I had.

Well that's my first impression from this quick survey. Now that I know where they are, I might find something new.

17. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm just about getting old enough to print vintage negs as if for the first time. I take my latest camera (usually larger) and find myself occasionally re-photographing the same place/scene in the redwoods many years later...I suppose rephotographing an old scene is sort of like reprinting an old negative. How do I approach this scene, this challange this time?

But the reality is that I far too many negatives that call to me to be printed, and too great of a desire to make new ones.

18. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Finished the look-through of all my negatives, noted down what's on every sheet, every roll.

Now I should be able to find any negative I can remember I wanted to print, without having to touch them all to find specific ones.

Looking forward to a winter of printing.

19. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know if it is typical but, I've noticed the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.