Threads
Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

barzune

Shooter
Multi Format
When I go for a bike ride, or for a "nature" walk, I've been in the habit of carrying a camera, and I usually prefer a medium format folder. Light, slip it in a pocket, no need to worry about batteries, and slow. At my age, I like slow.

My two favourite pocket MFs are a Mokba 5, and a Nettax 513/16.

Each is a minimalist jewel, with only the very basic features: a variable diaphragm, a variable speed shutter, and a means of focussing.

The difference between the two, other than frame format, is that the Mokba is fitted with a remarkably accurate rangefinder, and the Nettax ( similar to a Nettar ) is fitted with a reliable light meter.

With the Mokba, I gauge light by "Sunny 11" rule, and with the Nettax, I have to estimate any distance less than 20'.

I'm just curious, which feature can you do without, and which is a "must have"?

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
The only time I really need a light meter is for indoors because I'm rarely wrong with outdoor exposures in all sorts of weather.

My fun minimalist camera is a Nettar 515/16: frame finder and scale focusing.

IMAG8885-1.jpg

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
A good viewfinder/viewing frame is important to me.
My old Kodak Six-16 is an important camera for me, but the "finder" is very frustrating.

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
For small and light minimalist cameras I carry Minox III or Minolta 16 II, Rollei 35. All focus by guestimation. None of my MF cameras meet criteria of thread. My Super Ikonta B has rf and is heavy. Even in polite society I carry a subminiature. While it doesn’t meet the limitations set by this thread the Olympus xa is light and easy to carry.

OP
OP

barzune

Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah, for 35mm, my pocket camera is the Rollei 35.....zone focussing just like the Nettax.

pbromaghin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The only time I really need a light meter is for indoors because I'm rarely wrong with outdoor exposures in all sorts of weather.

My fun minimalist camera is a Nettar 515/16: frame finder and scale focusing.

View attachment 202102

I was first infected with the folder bug by the essentially identical Ikonta 521/16. However, I found the follow-on model, the 523/16, with the simple addition of a depth-of-field scale, to be much easier and more pleasurable to use.

tessar

Shooter
Multi Format
My favorite pocket-size MF camera is a Voigtlander Bessa 66 -- scale focus only, but used with ISO 400 film the DOF is deep enough to mask small focusing errors.

Chan Tran

Shooter
35mm
Between the 2 choices I pick the accurate rangefinder rather than the exposure meter. While I can estimate distance well it's not easy to set the distance accurately on the lens. I can estimate exposure well enough to use the camera without the meter plus the fact one can use a hand held meter. It's much more difficult to use an external instrument to help focusing. You can have an accurate distance meter but still you can't set the distance accurately on the lens

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
agfa sure shot, no meter or rangefinder needed

I thought this was one of those pocketable autofocus, autoexposure compacts of the late 1980's, like the Pentax IQZoom. Imagine my surprise.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
I thought this was one of those pocketable autofocus, autoexposure compacts of the late 1980's, like the Pentax IQZoom. Imagine my surprise.

:wink: yup
i like simple, really simple, something based on the original point and shoot auto everyting cameras.

OP
OP

barzune

Shooter
Multi Format
The Zeiss Ikon Nettax is a twin sister to the zone-focussing Nettar, with the addition of an uncoupled light meter. The lens is a Novar, three element.
Zone focussing is actually pretty fast and efficient at f8, setting a focal point at about ten feet will cover from five feet to infinity.
If, on the other hand, as Chan Tran and xya suggest, you'd be willing to carry a light meter, you could also carry a pocket rangefinder
(the accessory, not a rangefinder camera) for close work. These additional accessories, though, stretch the general idea of minimalist equipment.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom