Precision cookers and C-41 chemicals....

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by sperera, Jan 3, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    sperera

sperera Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the Anova precision cooker i have is indeed overkill as I get faster results - Ive been testing all afternoon - filling up a water cooler (as you all suggested!) with hot water off the kitchen tap and immersing the Paterson plastic graduates I have enough to go over the level of the 1000ml or 500ml (2 rolls or 1 roll) inside and just waiting for the developer to get to 38 degrees centigrade and thats it......would take the Blix out at the same time.....Ive developed 6 rolls so far doing it as a variation of this and good results.....
    Here's a shoot i developed without the precision cooker and just hot water bath pulling it out and starting development as soon as it hit 38 degrees.....
    https://www.ulookretro.com/images#/latest-rolls/

here's a shot from that link....
    Giovanella5b_fb.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    sperera

sperera Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think the foam is needed. It reduces heat loss but if the heater is powerful, heat loss actually makes the temperature more stable.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The softer plastic bottles that are lousy for storing chemicals long term are fine for tempering chemicals, and may be easier to keep mostly submerged.
    And use an insulated cooler.
    Think of the JOBO bottles.

5. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use one of those small foam coolers and 1liter soda bottles. Temps stay where I need them with no issues.

6. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +2. Don't overthink it!

7. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Believe it or not you have a few degrees leeway. The only thing that needs to be ballpark is the developer anyhow...

8. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok - that looks realy fine.
    Imagine - if you would have made this shot by yourself - it would look more fine:D....
    With regards

9. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm using plastic container which fits into the sink. I put hot tap water and adding boiling water. It brings my C-41 1L bottles which are stored in refrigerator to the temperate I need quick. While temperature goes up, I shake bottles and monitoring temperature of developer. Once the temperature I need is reached, I do developing and keeping developer bottle in the container with hot water, removing it for agitations.

This is E-6 expired Kodakchrome slide film developed by E-6 at home recently by using of the same method. But I have to add boiling water twice to reach E-6 temperature. Now I know why they say "cooking" instead of developing :smile: :

[​IMG]

10. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That may be true if the heater is grossly oversized for the bath but if it's the correct size then the insulation helps stabilize the temperature.

11. rbultman

rbultman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably most covered, but I'll add my process anyway. I use the Anova for C-41 with the Jobo 1L wide mouth bottles for the chemicals. I use a tub that is large enough for all of the chem bottles and is high enough such that most of the bottle height is covered by the bath. Works great. You just need to let it run long enough such that the chemicals get to temperature. I chose the wide mouth bottles to allow the most rapid transfer of liquid from the bottle to the development tank. I use the Paterson development tanks.