Postcard Exchange Round 42 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 2, 2017.

1. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the ribbon itself has different tones to it so make's it much more interesting.

2. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid I did not comment on :

Black dog's Carteret evening: very moody landscape, of a place I really like (one day, we should organize a meeting there, if you're visiting regularly!)
    edwall's cross, very strange image, the subject in the center and the overall symetry make it all
    MooseOnTheLoose's Daishin Temple, I love the perspective.

Thanks!

3. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    04 Feb 2018

Just uncovered a bunch of cards that I have not commented on. The card from Ozphoto of a rest area in rough weather. I too like to find bargains at markets, unfortunately many of my purchases have had "problems" that I must work around. The card from piffey looks like it is either a memorial or a sacred site. I like the composition, and nicely done black border to confine the viewer to the photo. The photo from mooseontheloose is very interesting to me. I really like how the ribbon of light marches across the image. Well done. "Birdman" from Howard Earl has a story to tell. I wonder how this guy came to be the birdman. The photo from Black Dog of a snow dusted forest invites the viewer into the photo (lots of depth to this photo).

Thanks to all for a round of wonderful photos. I look forward to Round 43. Also, thanks to George for his organizations and computer skills to keep this exchange moving.

Regards,
    Darwin

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks-that's exactly what I was trying to achieve.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apologies are in order, foen.
    Your image of a "Double Helix" swirls nicely, and I enjoy it greatly. One practical suggestion: I and expect some others who participate in the exchange don't necessarily have the most perfect system for keeping all the cards we receive organized. In the case of your card, it got separated from the envelope it came in, and therefore became an "orphan" in a pile of cards and other photos. It really, really helps to have something on the back that indicates your Photrio screen name, an indication what exchange it is part of (in this case Photrio Postcard #42) and an appropriate title or other description (to make it easy to refer to.
    Apologies are also in order to all the others I have not acknowledged. So, in partial amends, acknowledgments follow with respect to all the other cards from this round that I can identify as such. Where no title was indicated, I've made one up :smile:
    Black Dog - "The Green Man" - a fun and scary subject and a nice print;
    iandvaag - "Colder Waters" - as many will know, I like water scenes. This one is really nice, particularly with respect to the mood it evokes;
    Howard Earl - "Birdman" - impressive that you shoot "street" in 4x5 - and an action shot at that. This card looks great and makes me smile;
    Ozphoto - "Seaside Canopy (??)" - beautiful muted colour and a combination of shapes and textures that works well with that colour;
    1kgcoffee - "Man in the Shadows" - nice mood, and well toned;
    aluk - "His Own Devotion" - this succeeds really well as a small print. You want to know more about the "fellow", which is a sign of good people photography;
    mike c - "Sidewalk Solar Eclipse" - Interesting, intriguing, creative and beautiful;
    LarsAC - "Walk in Brugge" - One of the great things about postcards is that they can make you want to visit a place that you never have been before. This card is an excellent example of that;
    drpsilver - "Rot" - Indeed, 'Rot' can be beautiful, and this card is proof of that;
    Oxleyroad - "Last Nectar" - This card is the 'bee's knees' :smile:
    Laurent - "Beach Relic (??)" - I really like how this card gives me the impression that everything is completely still, but something catastrophic is just about to happen!;
    David (Harman) - "Taking on Water" - a timeless image of an almost timeless subject. And no surprise, it has been very nicely printed!;
    mooseontheloose - "Daushoin Temple Light Up" - a jewel of an image that draws you in because you want to see everything.

If you sent me a card and there is no acknowledgment here or in my much earlier post acknowledging rrusso's card, there is a distinct possibility that I have either mislaid your card or that The possibility certainly exists that I have erroneously commented upon it in the thread for Postcard Exchange #41. Either way, I apologize.
    I thank everyone for all their wonderful cards!

6. foen

foen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you Matt for you advices. I will keep in mind for the next time :wink:

7. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I've just received a postcard from 'Wayne Frederick', but can find no other posts of them being sent or received by the photographer or others yet other than the postage stamp saying 07 FEB 2018...?

Anyway, it is a great little picture from one of Wayne's 'beach walks'. Although rather than sea and sand we are given bare trees and LOTS of snow and ice surrounding a flowing river.

I also like that it's shot on a camera that I had to look up = a 'Savoy' Bakelite camera with a plastic lens. Loaded and shot on Fuji Acros 100, which had to be re-rolled onto a 620 as well.

Another great addition to my collection.

Thanks Wayne! :D

Terry S

PS I've just looked up the camera in question and love it:

https://darlscamerashelf.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/imperial-savoy-2/

I also like the random nature of the shutter = depending on how quick you are with the shutter! Ebay UK has none on sale yet but lots from abroad with high postage rates. :sad: And I just love the variety of colours it come in, but I think the red one is my fave! :smile:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:57 AM
  8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Wayne's card right here at the top of the bill heap, just came yesterday.Nice snow scene but no Beach, its a Beach walk as tezzasmall says.
    Thanks Wayne

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have received Wayne Frederick's "Snapshot of Snow and Ice". A very nice card, shot using a fun and intriguing camera. Thanks!

10. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also received Wayne Frederick's snowscape. Nice image, and nice to see images from a somewhat unusual camera!

11. Wayne Frederick

Wayne Frederick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I finally got my cards out late for round 42. I would like to comment on all of the wonderful cards I have received, in no particular order.

1kgcoffee The tones in the sky contrast nicely with the relative harshness of the water in the foreground. The sun on the right balances the clump of trees and shadowy man on the left

aluk A quiet composition with nice tones. I like the background being out of focus.

Black Dog I like this kind of picture where a human or animal or cardboard cutout casts a menacing abstract shadow on vegetation or snow; I have taken several myself. The ferns in semi-shadow make this one interesting.

drpsilver The universality of rot can create very delicate patterns.

David (Harman) The scale of the train engine and the tank in relation to the people (small train and tank, people not overwhelmed by machinery etc.) makes this a very intimate picture for me. I like how the tank leans toward the men tending to the engine.

Howard Earl A happy person surrounded by happy birds in front of a work in progress on 5th Ave in Manhattan- this is a very upbeat photo, not depressing as it seems at first glance.

iandvaag Nice action shot. I like the clouds and the sun being in the frame.

LarsAC Interesting buildings contrast with the trees. The curtain in the bay window is neat.

Laurent Disturbing picture of a house about to fall down a hill. I like the row of rocks in the foreground and the dark sky.

MattKing Slightly menacing picture with nice soft focus and a great dramatic sky.

mike c This really does look like the sun but the diagonal line soon gives it away. Nicely done.

mooseontheloose Serene picture with nice shadow detail and ribbon of light.

Oxleyroad I like the contrast of the black bee and the white flower. Nice action shot.

ozphoto Very nice colors from the expired film, and the camera sounds interesting. I never thought much about the Olympus Trip, but now I will have to get one, collector that I am.

piffey Simple, emotional picture. I like the white sky and the black border.

rrusso Very neat- printed well to reveal all of the tones.

tezzasmall I hope this was intended to be funny, because it is. The hand plucking the hat can’t belong to the person wearing it, can it? The angles seem wrong.

12. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks on behalf of everyone who's posties that you commented on Wayne. 'Better late than never!' as the saying goes. :smile:

And yes, it wasn't the wearers hand plucking the hat from the models head - it was my hand. :smile: It was taken during a session of experimentation that produced a number of 'good' negs on the film. Well, at least above the general average that I normally get per roll. :smile:

Terry S