Possible to use AP or Paterson reel in Jobo tank?

Untitled

A
Untitled

Black Bull (2010)

A
Black Bull (2010)

Liz-Lith.jpg

A
Liz-Lith.jpg

Stray (2014)

H
Stray (2014)

Time #2

Time #2

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
So I have a Jobo 1520 tank with two Jobo reels, and recently acquired the extension (complete with centre spindle) allowing more reels to be used. The prices for Jobo reels are daft these days. Is it possible to use AP or Paterson reels? I understand the centre hole for the spindle may be larger with the Paterson reels, but if I sandwich a Paterson reel between two Jobo reels would this make any difference?

Is there any reason why I should not try this?

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Check the external diameter. If it fits into the tank should work. Jobo prices are indeed up, I picked up 6 new in box 1501 reels on Ebay for $70 (US). Jobo reels are fussy to load, if you don't snip the film corners just right it's impossible. We are lucky that Jobo is still around. Quality is second to none.

OP
OP
Agulliver

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
Oh yes, no complaints about the quality of my Jobo gear, I've owned my 1520 for about 15 years and developed a lot of films in it. I don't find loading the films to be especially difficult. But the thick end of £30 for a reel is quite costly. Usually I develop one or two films at a time but on occasion (eg after a holiday) I'd like to do more. Thanks for the tip about outer diameter, I guess that's the most important thing.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I've no direct experience with what you are thinking about, but I'd be concerned as well about flow patterns within the tank, and the possibility of uneven development.
Tanks and reels tend to be designed and tested together.

Johnkpap

Shooter
Medium Format
Simple answer No...they are too big

The only cost saving tip I can give you is the reels from very old JOBO tanks
Will fit look for them at Camera swap meets ect

Johnkpap

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
The clear and white Jobo reels have nearly the same hub. The old ones fit on the new collums, but not that tight.
To change flux pattern, the reels would have to have very small spacing, and the reels would have to be much smaller compared to the tank.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Oh yes, no complaints about the quality of my Jobo gear, I've owned my 1520 for about 15 years and developed a lot of films in it. I don't find loading the films to be especially difficult. But the thick end of £30 for a reel is quite costly. Usually I develop one or two films at a time but on occasion (eg after a holiday) I'd like to do more. Thanks for the tip about outer diameter, I guess that's the most important thing.
Checked 1501 reel. The price here in US is CURRENTLY 21 £ (28 usd) free shipping no tax. The court has ruled that companies like B&H will need to start collecting state and local sales taxes 7% here.
I used Paterson reels and tanks for 40 years, I got into the Jobo thing when I got a deal on a bunch of tanks processors, really neat system. I paid 200 dollars for a newer CPP2 with a new style lift, sold as is for parts. I spent days cleaning and adjusting, put in a new switch ,turned out great. The stuff has always been out of my price range, but it works great!
I would love to have a CPP3 , solid state, bulletproof German made beast.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom