Poll: Do you use single or double bath fixing for FB papers?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

What kind of fixing procedure do you use for FB papers?

• Total voters

wiggywag

Shooter
4x5 Format
Would be fun to know what is common practice among apug'ers when it comes to fixing. Please vote :smile:

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I discard old fixer. I don't use it for any 'second bath.'

DWThomas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Another one of those "it depends" situations. I don't do very much printing, so if it's been a long time and I only have a few small prints to do, I may use a single bath with fresh fixer. Typically that first episode is some test prints to see where I want to go with a selection of shots. I then save the used fixer and use it as a first bath when I run some larger prints (which usually happens a day or three later).

jmcd

As DWThomas said, if I'm just doing a few prints and have just mixed fresh fixer, a single fix is fine.

Most all of the time however, it is a double-bath fix. I fix prints for half the time and then they go to a holding bath. Near the end of my printing session, I review and choose my keeper prints, which get their second half of fixing in the second finishing fixer bath, hypo clear, rinse, and still water wash.

When the first bath is nearing capacity, I replace it with the second fixer.

jp80874

Shooter
ULarge Format
I print mostly during college terms where my courses require ten 11x14 or larger prints, as close to show quality as I can make them, for critique every two weeks. This past term that has been 7x17 contact prints. This next term will be 8x10 contact prints, then 16x20s of the better enlargements. I use two fixer trays with at least one test each tray with "Hypo Check" each session. This is followed by a running water tray for two or three prints and test strips. Then the prints are washed in a vertical washer with slow running water for an hour or more. Spent fixer from printing and film development is run through the college's silver reclaiming unit.

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
double fix for pretty much everything serious(FB only), since the only place where I can print right now is at school, and a local photo center.

for RC: single fix bath(test prints and contact sheets)
for FB: double fix bath, with a 30s rinse in between, 75-80deg water(little more rapid wash), otherwise 1 min@ 68F

works for me

-Dan

Shooter
4x5 Format
My workflow is as follows: Fix 1, wash, dry. After I've collected a batch for toning (and discarded the prints that didn't make muster), I hold a toning session: Soak, Fix 2, toner, hypo-clear, wash, dry.

Best

Doremus Scudder

fschifano

Shooter
Multi Format
Single bath, but I print very few on fiber base papers and always start with fresh fixer when I do.

Dave Martiny

Shooter
35mm
I only print on RC paper, and I do work that I would like to think is serious. I use 2 bath fixing for my prints, half time in each bath. I don't see why the same benefit that 2 bath fixing has for fiber paper wouldn't apply to RC as well, and follow it with a wash, a light selenium toning and Sistan treatment.

Regards,

Dave

msage

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I use the single fixer method for a number of years now. Non-hardening rapid fixer for one minute. I change fixer when I hit half capacity.
Michael

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom