Polaroid to Sue Fujifilm

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RattyMouse, Nov 17, 2017.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never knew that Polaroid held a patent on square prints with white border...

Maybe Fujifilm should put two notches on the border so it's different from a Polaroid.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A joke... a company that shits themselves on royalties sues another company just for that.

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and for only $3M per year. That's barely lunch money!

5. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe Fuji can hand over all their Pack Film machinery as a settlement.

6. SilverShutter

SilverShutter Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, exactly what we need right now! Pointless arguments in a very debilitated industry.
    Even people nowadays call instax cameras Polaroids, it seems like a very petty discussion to me from Polaroid tbh.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the image has a wide bottom, it is patented for the pod which contains the developer. Of course, this is true for all instant which must have a pod. I would think that these patents had expired.

PE

8. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To be fair, the patent has long expired. And you can't patent something like the look of a border. What they're attempting to sue over is trademark and trade dress infringement, which has a considerably longer life than a patent.

In any case, it might be hard for them to claim damages which are necessary in trademark cases, since Polaroid probably owes a lot of their recent success to Fuji. That, and didn't the Impossible Project just buy Polaroid? Apparently they didn't think it was trademark infringement a year ago when they were making film for Polaroids under their own brand. Or were they paying royalties for that? In any case, I'm sure Fuji isn't too worried about it.

9. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is not a look, but rather a necessity of building an integral film pack. The pod has to go somewhere, and Polaroid has a plethora of those patents. If any is still active, then they may try to use it. IDK.

PE

10. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The necessity of the pod creates the resulting look, and if the Trademark Office gave it a trademark, Polaroid can sue--whether or not they will be successful remains to be seen. For trademarks to be valid they have to be closely associated with the purchase of the product (at least according to the trademark attorneys that I've spoken with).

11. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was still working on the Kodak Instant Product when the Polaroid patent dispute heated up. I don't remember us being worried about the use of a pod (after all, the peel-apart product had used pods for years). The major item I remember us being worried about was the use of crowned rollers to control DLT thickness.

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how can a company that doesn't exist anymore sue another company?
    when polaroid went bankrupt did citi retain their patents ?
    i know the i have bought batteries that last about 15 minutes that have a polaroid name on them
    they were alkaline .. and real junk, eveready ( with the cat running through the 9 ) or RayOvac would have been
    a better choice .... still, i should have bought the gold and black ones made by chdgrunt, they were much classier !

its like burger chef suing macdonwalds because they invented the happpy meeal

13. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I can just see some a-hole lawyer conjuring this one up....

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, Poloroid does exist as a company, just not the company we think of as Polaroid. The assets, including trademarks and IP, we bought by Tom Peters. He's now out of the picture (after a stint in jail), but the brand (and company) live on. The brand is seemingly licensed to any and all types of crap electronic goods.

As I read the article referenced by the OP, the infringement suit is based on the square within a square look, not the underlying technology of the chemicals or the way they are stored within the white border.

However, I clearly remember producing square prints with a white border in the mid-60s from 620 film. Maybe, if Polaroid wins, I'll sue Polaroid. Of course, I remember seeing "square within a square" prints in my parents photo box. Those were taken in the 50s so maybe they'll sue me.

16. jnanian

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mgb74
    thanks for the info !
    i remember peters owned it ( citi, right ? ) and i remember he bankrupted them,
    i wasn't aware that he was the guy who still owned them and licensed the name on all the batteries
    ( i knew better to buy anything else labled polaroid ! ) i shouldnt' have bought.
    when i was enlarging 6x6 images on square paper i guess you could have sued me too :smile:

17. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it is very doubtful that a trademark for a "square within a square" will be upheld. You can get a trademark or patent, but that doesn't mean it will hold up to scrutiny.

18. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji destroyed the pack film machinery. Those people who went from Europe to Japan to convince Fuji to restart production or to sell the machinery discovered that it no longer existed.

Didn't Apple patent the trashcan image?

19. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, Impossible Project bought Polaroid, and yup they owe all of their success to Fujfilm for resurrecting instant cameras/film.

This is going to destroy a lot of goodwill towards Impossible Project / Polaroid

20. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see it the other way around: Dr. Land and Polaroid created the first instant film, the first pack film, and the first integral film. This created the market that Fuji entered. True, Fuji kept instant film alive until Impossible/Polaroid Originals revived the old Polaroid process (somewhat less than perfectly, but from a Polaroid plant and equipment). The market was always there for instant film, Impossible/Polaroid Originals owe Fuji nothing.

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is not a square within a square! It is a square within a rectangle or variations thereof.

PE

22. aleckurgan

aleckurgan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree, this is very stupid of them and counterproductive in the current state of the industry.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a new entity with Impossible as core. And this legal cause is not about patents.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    It is about attorneys making money.

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rather see it as an Impossible thing: taking but not giving.

26. jnanian

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i guess business is business ?
    its not the first time from what i remember
    that fuji has taken ... didn't kodak sue them decades ago
    for something similar ?
    it would be much better if there was a worldwide image making materials conglomerate
    then it wouldn't be impossible for them all to get along

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.