Photography-related New Year resolutions?

Mustang

A
Mustang

32nd Avenue

A
32nd Avenue

Saab

A
Saab

Chevy Van

A
Chevy Van

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

Alex Benjamin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
So, what are your photography-related New Year resolution, should you have any? Shoot more? Shoot less? Start a project? Finish a project? Buy more gear? Buy less gear? Work on composition? Learn more stuff about a specific subject? Think less and just shoot? Experiment? What?

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Several of those mentioned (most, in fact, except shooting less and buying more/less gear)... and one more: spend less time on internet photography forums. :wink:

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
To get as intuitive/comfortable in the digitally enlarged negative & alternative process hand coated print realm as I was in the traditional darkroom.

Overreach?

You bet!

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My New Years resolutions are:
  • grow more hair on the top of my head
  • loose 30 pounds
  • get 50 years younger with all the physical and mental ramifications
  • give up abstinence
  • become even better looking than my incredible good looks that I have now
  • become independently wealthy
  • continue become even more modest
Shucks, do you know how hard it was to come up with this list?

Shooter
Multi Format
My New Years resolutions are:
  • grow more hair on the top of my head
  • loose 30 pounds
  • get 50 years younger with all the physical and mental ramifications
  • give up abstinence
  • become even better looking than my incredible good looks that I have now
  • become independently wealthy
  • continue become even more modest
Shucks, do you know how hard it was to come up with this list?

A lot harder to do it. Good luck.

George Mann

Shooter
35mm
I have been thinking that I would like to learn more about traditional printing, but I have no way of doing it on my own.

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Photographically, I am going to continue my excursions into combining the cyanotype and Van Dyke processes into the same piece. I also have some pinhole stuff to fiddle with.

Non-photographically, although to be documented with photographs, I plan to run every street in the city, a bit over 450 miles.

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
...Non-photographically, although to be documented with photographs, I plan to run every street in the city, a bit over 450 miles.
I have the same plan, but live in a town of under 10,000 people so there's less to run 😎

Pie in the sky plan is to link two mountains on opposite sides of the valley...maybe 65K?

What kind of camera are you taking on your runs? Been toying with an "On The Run" series myself...

flatulent1

Shooter
Multi Format
The obvious one for me is to get my butt out and shoot. I haven't shot anything since covid started. I bought two new cameras since then (including a Leica M6) and they're just sitting there, mocking me.

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have the same plan, but live in a town of under 10,000 people so there's less to run 😎

Pie in the sky plan is to link two mountains on opposite sides of the valley...maybe 65K?

What kind of camera are you taking on your runs? Been toying with an "On The Run" series myself...

I will, as usual, run with my phone but I do occasionally take my Minolta 16 so I can shoot some film and not have to lug any extra weight.

I’ll be setting up another blog and post all the runs. My Garmin watch produces a map that I can post along with photos of what strikes my fancy along the way. I probably be doing 5-6 miles at a time, a couple times per week, aside from my other running. BTW, there a good video aby a guy who spent 16 years running all the streets of Pittsburgh, PA:

Mixing photography with running is something I’ve done for a couple decades. 20 years ago I was coaching high school cross country and ran all the workouts with my athletes and took along cameras (Canon PowerShot or a video camera) so I could document the season, post to our web site, and produce an end-of-season highlights video.

I retired from that 10 years ago but still run and on most Tuesdays one of my regular running partners and I do a 7-miler that takes us up a trail to the top of the nearby rimrocks. Right before a hairpin turn in the trail there is a good photo op with him ahead of me and the Beartooth Mountains in the background so I grab that shot and now have quite a few from over the years, in all seasons, that I plan to assemble into a nice montage.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I have been thinking that I would like to learn more about traditional printing, but I have no way of doing it on my own.

Yes, you do George. If you have one good eye, two good hands, a library (or the internet) and just a little bit of money, there could be no stopping you.

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
To resist acquisition of any more cameras. Unless they're a really good deal, or look like being a good project or really cool and maybe fun to shoot.....

Kodachromeguy

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I want to do more work with my medium format or 4×5" cameras and less 35mm (although I admit, the 35mm gives me more spontaneity). Also, use fewer film stocks: Tri-X, Panatomic-X, and Acros. And maybe I'll pare down my 35mm cameras.

logan2z

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My resolutions for 2023 are to spend more time in the darkroom making prints, and to produce a small self-published book of my work for family and friends - because I'm sure nobody else would want to see it 😋

George Mann

Shooter
35mm
Yes, you do George. If you have one good eye, two good hands, a library (or the internet) and just a little bit of money, there could be no stopping you.

I live in a small apartment, which is a step up from the van I lived in for awhile, but still no room for the necessary equipment.

Laurent

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have to get back to photography, seriously. I just developped Some rolls this evening, and my darkroom log shows my last session was on january 2022!

I also have to do a proper cleanup, as dust accumulated for 11 months!

warden

Shooter
Medium Format
I just developed a roll of film (from a sweet little 2 day jaunt to NYC) and the 2.5 month old Ilfosol 3 lost its punch, leaving me with useless negatives. That tells me I’m not shooting or developing as much as I should. Chemistry should not go limp waiting for me. Will aim to do better in 2023!

Cheers everyone. I wish good health and happiness for you all this year.

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
I will, as usual, run with my phone but I do occasionally take my Minolta 16 so I can shoot some film and not have to lug any extra weight.

I’ll be setting up another blog and post all the runs. My Garmin watch produces a map that I can post along with photos of what strikes my fancy along the way. I probably be doing 5-6 miles at a time, a couple times per week, aside from my other running. BTW, there a good video aby a guy who spent 16 years running all the streets of Pittsburgh, PA:

Mixing photography with running is something I’ve done for a couple decades. 20 years ago I was coaching high school cross country and ran all the workouts with my athletes and took along cameras (Canon PowerShot or a video camera) so I could document the season, post to our web site, and produce an end-of-season highlights video.

I retired from that 10 years ago but still run and on most Tuesdays one of my regular running partners and I do a 7-miler that takes us up a trail to the top of the nearby rimrocks. Right before a hairpin turn in the trail there is a good photo op with him ahead of me and the Beartooth Mountains in the background so I grab that shot and now have quite a few from over the years, in all seasons, that I plan to assemble into a nice montage.

That Pac-Tom dude is one crazily committed guy.

Here's a good one from San Fransisco (1303 miles in 46 days)

I started running at 60 (2.5 years ago) and really enjoy it...more on the trail end of things though, as I find road runs get waaaaaay too boring after 20K or so.

Last edited:

redbandit

Shooter
35mm
I live in a small apartment, which is a step up from the van I lived in for awhile, but still no room for the necessary equipment.

alot of the small tin can 35mm only enlargers, and some of the 120 format enlargers came in suit cases for storage from the factory. I have seen a few on the online place that come in teh original suitecase and even in the origianl factory shipper.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom