Oxygen, an alternate to X-Pan

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by gr82bart, Dec 19, 2017.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Based on the technical quality of the example photographs, I'd say, don't quit school yet.

3. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    He's Swiss. And making a camera.

'nuff said.

4. OP
    OP
    gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film photographers love negatives.....

5. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bunch of grouchy knowitalls.

Ya got nothing to lose by cheering someone on!

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    can't wait for his camera to hit the market
    or at least be sent out to beta testers .. :smile:
    smart kid ! hope he runs with this idea, and does well !
    as far as i am concerned the more cottage industries the better !
    the fat cats are getting too fat they are losing sight of what
    the people feeding them want ...

7. dutchsteammachine

dutchsteammachine Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wonderful idea, hopefully a nice panorama camera will come out of this.

Keep us updated will you gr82bart!

8. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As usual the "stay in school and leave the camera design to us camera design degree experts" (that don't build anything) armchair nitpicking naysayers do their best to hide their jealousy.

Showing the flaws in prototypes shows scientific honesty. It's scientifically honest (show ALL the data) instead of what the world as become accustomed to in the stale world of gatekeepers and so-called "experts" that do their best to keep up appearances and hide any flaws so that they appear to be perfect experts. They try to protect "their turf" with their complaints that those without "their credentials" are not "qualified" to do such work. If this guy wanted to go to some camera design company they'd interview and say "...and WHERE did you get your degree in panoramic camera design?"...NO DEGREE!!!!???? I think we may find you a position in the custodial department--IF you had references. Good day sir!

Hopefully this is a new page turning for the world--one where advancement takes place at such a pace that hiding the failures is seen to be the timewaster and impediment to advancement that it is.

Maybe space-x started something like the NASA of the old days did--it showed all of the glorious failures instead of hiding them because we didn't care about looking bad, so long as progress continued.

At least the guy is DOING something and he's honest about it. But, hey--jealous h8ers gonna h8 and h8 hard.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The pictures are of such poor quality, it implies the device is faulty. If this is not obvious to others, then I'm glad I mentioned it.

10. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

11. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The maker; has not posted here and has made no claim here. Make up what one wishes. The only objective data on the device is the images shown. Be free to love them and the device and have a Merry Christmas.

12. mdarnton

mdarnton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It looks good to me. Put a good lens parallel with a flat piece of film, which shouldn't be too difficult, and any other problem is the shooter's. Besides which, I don't see anything wrong with the photos except that the photographer appears to be not as good as the critics here THINK they themselves are. :smile:

I really like what people are doing with 3D printing. I have a couple of lens hoods that are wonderful, from someone else's design on shapeways.com. If someone designs a printed version of an Xpan, that's great!

13. OP
    OP
    gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +2

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +3?

16. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. dourbalistar

dourbalistar Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Bah humbug, I'm glad Christmas is over. :tongue:

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    see here for an update:

Dead Link Removed

19. michr

michr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This project looks viable, unlike many I've seen on Kickstarter. The creator even has STL files for download, though I'd want milled aluminum if I were buying just to support the weight of the lenses. I've always thought the prices panoramic cameras go for were a bit crazy, so it's always nice to see something that promises to be affordable.

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We should not forget, it is a very basic body. Should he conquer his issues with the counter it would be fine, otherwise one could leave it off and "just" count the turns of a winding knob.

Furthermore he did not start a Kickstarter campaign, not even promised anything.
    The only thing hinting at something serious is the ".com" of his new site, but in the context of what he said so far and how he interacts with others it rather looks like a sharing project.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  21. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool! Happy to see a youngster doing this!

22. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My build is finished and working, and even better it's in 2x anamorphic.

[​IMG]

23. michr

michr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Digging into the site a bit more, it looks less and less like the overhyped Kickstarter campaigns that we see on these forums which promise to be the next big thing and more like a hobbyist project to make a workable camera. The modest scope of the project makes me feel a lot more confident that something will come of it. The creator isn't taking on the burden of building the more difficult parts of camera making and basically just taking on a film holder. This is just a slightly more advanced version of the typical 120 film based pinhole cameras we see all over. But instead of a red window, because it's unbacked 35mm film, a winding and exposure counting system is necessary. Instead of a pinhole, a helical and mount is necessary.

I really like this project. I feel like the person making it put some thought into the design and the limitations of what one person can do for a reasonable investment of time and money. Calling it an XPan replacement is too much, but it might do much of the same job. Don't the results matter more than the tool? Let's see if this can get into some creative hands and create interesting work.

24. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    still using it ?
    i watch his updates on the various sites ( instagram, flickr and his website )
    and he's got a bunch made and selling them .. custom bulds and everything !

beautiful photograph chloenpot !

25. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format

+4 !

26. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've not hauled it out in a while. It's heavy and impractical to say the least. If I found an easier way to attach the filter to the front it would get more use. As of now it's taped in place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.