Threads
Members
Latest member
Evergreen States
Recent bookmarks

Kibo

Shooter
Medium Format
I've been using XP films since they were introduced and I found an undeveloped roll of XP1 in my studio that was exposed in 1990! When I had it processed yesterday the latent images had faded, but I got some prints. One group of images had reversed, that is printed as a negative image. Does anyone have any experience with what happens to chromgenic films as they age and if the revesal is "normal" chemical changes in the film.

Just curious.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Advertiser
Shooter
Multi Format
I havent a clue, but this sounds like a very interesting side effect. I'd suggest it's something to do with the fading of the latent image coupled with the build up of fog. The latent image somehow masks the negative so that the fog "fills in" the unexposed areas, while the original latent image fades away, so you're left with a positive image. The flaw in that logic is that I'm not sure why the original exposure would fade away while fog would be retained. XP1 was cutting edge technology for it's day, so I doubt they could have known the sort of long term storage problems it could have had, maybe this was a product feature we never knew about

I'd be interested to hear from someone who actually has some idea what they were talking about, very interesting stuff.

Aurum

Shooter
Medium Format
Not sure, could be a variation on the reversal paper phenomenon where its pre-exposed, so that when its used in anger it goes over the curve and does reversal without all the intermediate steps.

XP1 was, as above cutting edge, but a bit temperamental at times. XP2 then XP2 Super cured a lot of the wackyness

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom