Omega - Sphere - D enlarger head/lamp house?

Monticello Avenue-3

A
Monticello Avenue-3

surprise!

A
surprise!

• Tel
  • Feb 7, 2023
Anatomy

A
Anatomy

Morning

D
Morning

BD2023-1.jpg

D
BD2023-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks

gorbas

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm Pan
Just browsing thru Craig list and noticed Omega - Sphere - D enlarger head/lamp house? Never seen one before? Do you need to use it above condensers or its diffusion light source right above negative. I see there are 2 lamps on it. Strange contraption? Anybody using it?
Omega sphere 2.jpg

Dmosher

Shooter
Medium Format
Its a diffusion lightsource for B&W. Pretty much the same as the Chromega lamphouse without the filters. Doesn't have a drawer for filters to use with VC papers might be a bit harder. Looks like they were only made for a few years.

mike c

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I had one of these, it was the Chromega light source with built in acetate filters.

mike c

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I had one of these, it was the Chromega light source with built in acetate filters.
You could replace the filters with a green and yellow Rosco filters for variable contrast paper, but the gel filters fade fast. The light was very soft as I remember.

mike c

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I do not know when Dichroic filters became popular but in high school we used the various colored gels to make up our filter packs for color and boy they did not last long before they were scratched up badly. That was in the mid 60's , the dichroic filter was a God send.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have one, no longer working, looks like it came right off the set of Metropolis! Maybe by way of The Jetsons. As others have said, it is a diffused light source, very nice as I recall, with a regulated power supply. Mine quit and I replaced it with an Aristo head.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thank you Matt! I will recommend buying lifelong supply of those bulbs for everybody venturing in this Omega head.
I have spare lamps to fit every enlarger head I own (except my dead Omegasphere, of course). Nothing worse than having to wait for a lamp to come so you can continue in the darkroom.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom