Omega D5. Is there something missing and do I need it?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

Mrtony4x5

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi there
I just purchased an Omega D5 and would like some advice. I opened the door and saw this but I dont have any condenser lens on a tray. Am I supposed to have it? If I want to use a 135mm do I need it?
Thanks in advanced

Attachments

• IMG_6182.jpg
    IMG_6182.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 138

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
You can probably find one on e-bay, or check with the seller, see if he has it.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
You probably need one with a 135mm enlarging lens (shortest lens normally appropriate for 4" x 5").
You almost certainly need one with a 105 mm, 90mm, 75-80mm or 50mm enlarging lenses (lenses appropriate for smaller formats).

absalom1951

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you can't locate one, let me know. I might possibly have one . If I can find it in my pile of treasures.

OP
OP
Mrtony4x5

Mrtony4x5

Shooter
Medium Format
So I can’t get away with it with a 135mm. What would happen tho? I don’t have any lens so I’ll probably just get a 150.

absalom1951

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have one but I think it came from a D2 ? Looks good. Also have the 2 fixed condensers . You are welcome to it for shipping costs.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Your illumination will be less efficient but you will (probably) be fine. Much like using the old 6.5 inch condensers for all lenses. I, have one I picked up as a spare if you are interested but I would advise you try it out first.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have a diffuser.

OP
OP
Mrtony4x5

Mrtony4x5

Shooter
Medium Format
Your illumination will be less efficient but you will (probably) be fine. Much like using the old 6.5 inch condensers for all lenses. I, have one I picked up as a spare if you are interested but I would advise you try it out first.
Yeah thats what I thought

OP
OP
Mrtony4x5

Mrtony4x5

Shooter
Medium Format
I have one but I think it came from a D2 ? Looks good. Also have the 2 fixed condensers . You are welcome to it for shipping costs.

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. Right now Im more closer with my Durst enlarger which unfortunately have super expensive parts thats killing my bank now... Should not have went for it

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I believe the condenser would only slightly decrease your exposure times by a few seconds. It's certainly not going to be a drastic change.
You would be likely to experience the difference with smaller formats but the advantage would be longer exposure times for
burning & dodging.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I struggled with this before I posted.
Unlike diffusion boxes in diffusion heads, the correlation between condenser position and lens focal length may actually matter when it comes to evenness of illumination.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I struggled with this before I posted.
Unlike diffusion boxes in diffusion heads, the correlation between condenser position and lens focal length may actually matter when it comes to evenness of illumination.
Going bigger to smaller is usually less of a problem than going from smaller to bigger. Before the DV box both 135mm and 150mm lenses (and the occasional 165mm) all used the 6.5 inch condensers.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. Right now Im more closer with my Durst enlarger which unfortunately have super expensive parts thats killing my bank now... Should not have went for it
yeah, didn't you get three enlargers at the same time that you are trying to put right?

Rick A

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
You need the variable condenser lens for 135 mm lens, not for a 150 mm. I have a spare set of condensers including the variable that goes in the slots. I'll sell them as a set, they are in perfect condition.

Huub

Shooter
4x5 Format
I do have a D2V, which has an indentical condensor setup, not sure if they are exchangeable, but they look pretty much the same. When printing 4x5 with a 135mm lens, I always remove the upper condensor with no ill effects. When you are only using the enlarger with the 135mm, you should give it a try first before investing in an extra condensor. At the other hand: it won't harm to contact the seller and ask him if he still has the thing lying around somewhere, as it should come withthe third condensor in the first place.

choiliefan

Shooter
Medium Format
Pretty sure any Omega Variable Condenser head parts are interchangeable between older and newer model chassis.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom