Omega C760 Super Chromega negative carrier/slot question.

Untitled

A
Untitled

Black Bull (2010)

A
Black Bull (2010)

Liz-Lith.jpg

A
Liz-Lith.jpg

Stray (2014)

H
Stray (2014)

Time #2

Time #2

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

avizzini

Shooter
Medium Format
I recently bought a used Omega C760 Super Chromega enlarger. Overall it seems to be in pretty good shape, I just had a few questions, mainly around the negative carrier and slot. The old instruction manual I found online mentions a lever to engage/disengage the head when inserting/removing carriers. Research has led me to found out that the C760 never had this feature.

I found this document online: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/Enlargers/C760memo.htm

It seems to be instructions related to avoiding damage when inserting/removing the carrier. If I understand correctly, I do this just one time to "calibrate" the slot? I would hope they don’t expect me to do this every time I insert the negative carrier (That would be maddening)?

Also, upon reading those instructions I found out that foam light seals are a thing for this. As it stands now, there are no light seals on the staging area, negative head, nor negative carrier. So…

Are these foam light seals critical to avoid paper damage from light leaking?
Where do these light seals get attached, which parts?
Is it possible to buy them (affordably?) and or substitute another material?

I have attached images of these corresponding parts, let me know if everything looks correct, that I’m using the correct negative carrier, and if anything looks missing...

Are there any other things I should be aware of with this type of enlarger?

ZC098589.jpg ZC098591.jpg

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
KHB are generally very helpful if you contact them with questions.
They can probably also sell you a parts diagram and manual that would reveal where the foam should go. As they don't list the foam separately in the accessory list for that enlarger, they most likely install a more generic substitute when they service them.
Besides limiting stray light, it sounds like the foam will also help ensure correct positioning for the carrier.

OP
OP

avizzini

Shooter
Medium Format
My old C760 had a spring thing that held the carrier up tight to the head. You just slide the neg carrier in, no levers.
That's how mine appears to work. I was mainly wondering about how the light seal fits in to all of this.

Did you have a light seal? Did you do something like that what was described in the link I posted? How long did the light seals last before degrading from normal use?

OP
OP

avizzini

Shooter
Medium Format
Same one.
Okay, I'm less worried about the seals going bad quickly by normal usage without removing the enlarger head or anything. Even If I need a new one every year or so, I'll pay the $15-$20 for a new seal and just chalk it up as an operating cost.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom