Omega C700/C760 - Wall or Floor Projection?

Monticello Avenue-3

A
Monticello Avenue-3

surprise!

A
surprise!

• Tel
  • Feb 7, 2023
Anatomy

A
Anatomy

Morning

D
Morning

BD2023-1.jpg

D
BD2023-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks

bvy

Shooter
Multi Format
I have an Omega C700 enlarger with the C760 dichroic head. I want to get larger prints from my 35mm frames. I have a 50mm lens. At maximum height, I can get something like 15 or 16 inches (long edge). I initially considered a wider lens (40mm) but have read of inherent challenges and limitations, so now I’m thinking of modifying the enlarger for floor or wall projection. Has anyone had success doing this with this particular enlarger? I’m looking at the PDF manual, but I don’t see any parts or instructions for doing it. Thanks.

Fritzthecat

Shooter
Large Format
How handy are you with tools? You can build a bench with slide out shelves under the enlarger to give greater head height. I used to have a few C-700's, truth be told, I would upgrade to a heavier and more sturdy enlarger capable of more formats. The C-700/760 is maxed out for quality(read vibration damping capability) at full height. I've also used a Yashinon 40 mm enlarging lens with one,(bought for my kid's Vivitar) it works, but still limits your enlargement sizes. Time to upgrade.

OP
OP
bvy

bvy

Shooter
Multi Format
How handy are you with tools? You can build a bench with slide out shelves under the enlarger to give greater head height. I used to have a few C-700's, truth be told, I would upgrade to a heavier and more sturdy enlarger capable of more formats. The C-700/760 is maxed out for quality(read vibration damping capability) at full height. I've also used a Yashinon 40 mm enlarging lens with one,(bought for my kid's Vivitar) it works, but still limits your enlargement sizes. Time to upgrade.
You may be right -- and I am keeping my eyes open for a different enlarger.

Curious though, if I'm using a remote control timer to activate the enlarger, what's the concern about vibration damping?

Rick A

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
You may be right -- and I am keeping my eyes open for a different enlarger.

Curious though, if I'm using a remote control timer to activate the enlarger, what's the concern about vibration damping?
The higher the head is on the column, the more susceptible to vibration from many sources, and the greater distance the negative can sway above the easel. . When I print 11x14 and up, once I have everything how I need, paper in easel and such, I wait completely motionless and do not touch the enlarger or table for several seconds, then carefully trip my remote switch, no movement until the light shuts off.
Do you have space in your DR for this: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pho/d/enlarger-beseler/6511987644.html

Last edited:

M Carter

Shooter
Medium Format
I'd think with about any enlarger made, you could rig up some sort of brace for the top of the column. I braced the column of my 67c to the ceiling and did some 30" prints; my current MXT has mounting holes made for bracing the top.

But your bigger issue will be enlarger alignment as you go bigger - make sure you have that sussed out, or get a Versalign - awesome piece of gear!

Shooter
Medium Format
I have an Omega C700 enlarger with the C760 dichroic head. I want to get larger prints from my 35mm frames. I have a 50mm lens. At maximum height, I can get something like 15 or 16 inches (long edge). I initially considered a wider lens (40mm) but have read of inherent challenges and limitations, so now I’m thinking of modifying the enlarger for floor or wall projection. Has anyone had success doing this with this particular enlarger? I’m looking at the PDF manual, but I don’t see any parts or instructions for doing it. Thanks.
I think you're probably maxed out at 16" for 35mm film anyway but, I find floor projection a lot easier than wall projection with my DurstL1200.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom