Olympus Mju/Stylus zoom 80, is it working ok?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by carlostaiwan, Dec 31, 2017.

1. carlostaiwan

carlostaiwan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone! I got an olympus mju / Stylus Epic zoom 80. It works quite ok, but recently I saw some halo around some images. Is the camera faulty? In the past I had the same camera, it was really beaten up and will show a halo in every frame. So I was really happy when I found this one in a flea-market for a couple of dollars.

Do you guys think is a flare or a lens problem? Is the second time that this happens to me, so, maybe a model common problem?
    Any help/suggestion will be welcomed!

Attached Files:

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am quite sure the exactly the same artefect has been presented here before with a mju by a british member.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. OP
    OP
    carlostaiwan

carlostaiwan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So helpful! Thank you!! Same camera/same problem. Is my second Olympus mju 80 with the same issue, this one less severe. My previous one was exactly like the previous post. I guess I will leave this camera for expired films and so on.

5. bernard_L

bernard_L Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a similar problem with an Olympus Mju-II. I saw such ring-shaped flare in night shots, with light sources in the field of view. In your case, I bet you were shooting into the sun, something I generally avoid. And when the sun is close to the edge of the field of view, I shade the lens with my hand or that of a helpful family member. And, my second Mju-II does not have the problem. Possibly someone at Olympus forgot to paint black some lens edges.

You might consider the optical and practical (weather-proof) qualities of that camera before you confine it to expired film.

6. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That flaring comes from the hardened rubber seals around the lens barrel. It does not occur all times, but at certain focal length positions. Try a q-tip moistened with alcohol around the lens on the rubber. It has worked for me. I don't know for how long it will last, but it is worth it for a 3€ camera.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format