Olympus 35 RC Light meter

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Mike35rc, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Mike35rc

Mike35rc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys,
    I bought a Olympus 35 RC.
    Everything seems to work fine but the light meter is a bit off I guess.
    I used my D7000 and a Ikophot S to check the settings the 35 RC light meter calculated.
    Indoors the light meter is on point but outdoors in bright sunlight its 2 stops overexposed. I also noticed that the less sun is within the light meters reach, the more accurate it is.
    The battery is a new wein cell px625, so I believe the battery is not the problem.

How is this possible? Can I fix this? Is this a common problem?

I know that 35mm color negative film can compensate a lot of overexposing but since I set my iso to half the boxspeed, I'm afraid that if i shoot in sunlight the 3 stops overexposing are too much.
    Of course I could compensate the 2 stops overexposing by changing iso settings but I want it to have it fully functional.
    I havent shot a roll with it but will do that asap and note the settings.

2. otveit

otveit Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I have the same camera. I have never tested the meter agains another meter, and for now I do not feel the need to because the negatives are beautiful. I would suggest shooting a couple of rolls and evaluating the negatives. You can make adjustments with the iso setting on the lens if necessary.

Ø

3. OP
    OP
    Mike35rc

Mike35rc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for your reply. Can you please do me a big big favor and test the settings your 35 RC meter caluclats in a DSLR or light meter?
    Just point out the window while bright sunlight or even normal sunlight.

4. thuggins

thuggins Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only way to test the meter is to run a roll of slide film thru it. I have two RC's and both take perfectly exposed slides. However, the alignment between the scale and needle, as visible in the viewfinder, are slightly different.

It is a wonderful little camera that takes great photos. Quit worrying about what is indicated in the viewfinder and shoot some pictures!

5. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    EEA9C386-C33A-43B8-8879-8BBFFD65767C.jpeg

6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Running a roll of film thru and assuming you can judge the film and determine if the exposure is correct only test the entire exposure accuracy. You don't know if the meter is accurate. You may have accurate meter but bad shutter speed or vice versa or both that are wrong but give you the right result.

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was going to check the meter but I realized that I never put battery in my 2 35RC. I did test the shutter speed which were reasonably accurate. When I used them I only use them in manual and don't use the meter. I may try to test the meter later one using akaline battery. I would not buy the Wein Cell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.