Older Bronica ETR shutters

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by C A Sugg, Feb 17, 2009.

1. C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ive got a recurring bug with a 150mm 1:4 Zenzanon. The shutter sometimes fires (re-opens for exposure) every other time. Otherwise, it appears to cycle normally. The first time is when it hadn't been used in a few weeks, yesterday when was rather cold. Not that cold, lower 50's F. Does this mean it's on the verge of complete failure, or will have have to make sure to warm it up before use.
    Thanks,
    Charles

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Looks like it could use a CLA. Probably the oil has thickend and needs to be replaced.

3. votrepear

votrepear Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, have the shutter cleaned I have had the same problem, in the past.

4. OP
    OP
    C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced battery on the above camera and the problem, so far, seems to have gone away. Old one -- in about 6 months when the problem started -- was lithium. The new one is silver oxide. Could that have been the problem? ETRS and ETRSi manuals don't even mention lithium.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to say that they actually said not to use lithium. You could email Tamrons customer service and ask.

Is the voltage any different? The profile over time?

6. OP
    OP
    C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I just emailed the question to Tamron customer. Odd --when I tried to go to the Bronica archive, Norton flashed intruder alert and wouldn't load the page.

7. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That can be one of a few problems. Battery first... make sure you have a new battery n try again?

The electrical contacts can be dirty on both the prism or the lens. Clean em n try again.

One of my older 150s had an intermittant problem similar to your n it was nothing more that a loose retaining nut at the back of the lens... a black ring around the rear cell had to be tightened. No problems since.

If nothing seems to fix it... then consider buying a newer used one for the same money it would cost to have that one repaired. You might put that one up for sale as parts for people looking to replace glass n don't need a shutter... somting to keep in mind anyway.