Nuarc questions - which model, which vendor

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by, Jun 24, 2012.

  1. Member

    Sep 6, 2008
    I've been using a fluorescent box for a while and want to consider switching to a nuarc, but don't know which model means what - am I looking at screen print or litho - and where is a good supplier (in a perfect world there would be a supplier in Canada). looking here but so many options...
  2. gmikol

    gmikol Member

    Mar 2, 2009
    Vancouver, W
    First off, I think you want to stick with "litho" units. I don't think most of the screen print units have a vacuum bed.

    Next, I would suggest that you consider purchasing a unit used, via eBay, Craigslist, or via a website (that I can't find the link to) which is like a classifieds service for the printing industry. Units can often be had for just a couple hundred dollars. Keep in mind that a bulb for some of the units may run in excess of $150.

    The 26-1ks (current model), and the older version, 26-1k, are both popular. There is a 40-1k, which is similar, but has a larger vacuum bed. I use a NL22-8C, which is slightly smaller and simpler, and there are also N750 and N1000 units, which are both fully-enclosed units.

    Lastly, keep in mind that Nuarc was just one manufacturer of "plate burners", you may be able to find something similar from another manufaturer, perhaps one that was more widely distributed in Canada.

    Good luck in your search.

  3. DAP

    DAP Member

    Jun 9, 2008
    35mm RF
    It seems I'm a little late to the party, but...I would second Greg's advice to buy used. If you are patient and willing to drive a bit, used Nuarc models can be found for pennies on the dollar. When I was looking for a UV light source I originally passed on the idea of a Nuarc because I assumed they would break the bank. When I actually started looking I ended up finding a number in the $150-$300 range. They might not pop up every day, but cheap ones are out there. If you find one on craigslist or a different classified service don't be afraid to wheel and deal on the price...people aren't exactly standing in line to buy these things.

    The Nuarc 26-1ks and the 26-1k are the most common models you will find (in the states). The 1ks uses a metal halide bulb (which sell for $125+) and the 1k uses mecury vapor bulbs (generic replacements go for about $40).

    As far as new models are concerned - Amergraph makes a model that they specifically recommend to alternative printers.